Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Muddy Sticks

We came across this scene a weekend ago coming back from our 'adventure' out to Owl's Head. Just a couple of acres of rotting trees in water. It probably once was good tree growth and then man rerouted some water flow and bye bye trees. Well, that's my 'I have no idea what I'm talking about but it sounds pretty good to me' take on what I'm photographing here. I think we've all seen man intervening in nature before not bringing good results. I must say it would be a good place for owls though. I've always been fascinated with them, and this late winter Elenka got me checking out the owl cam at Skidaway Island, Georgia. I wouldn't mess with owls. The owlets look cuddly sitting there in the nest, but they age into nasty birds. I've learned quite a bit of the natural history of the bird recently from Elenka and various avian research sites.
Did you know that owls don't build nests?
Most often, they take over (steal) nests that other birds have built.
Not very nice.
But I'm not going to debate that fact, if I ever come across one face to face.
They will attack!
"Nice nest you've got there."

24 comments:

  1. Are there beaver at Owl's Head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can't be worse than gulls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know owls steal nests. I thought they took over abandoned nests. Well, they don't sound very nice, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year when I was excited to see the roadrunner nest, I also witnessed the mother roadrunner getting food for it's young. That wasn't a pretty sight. In fact, it was a bit disturbing. My dad used to say "it's a dog eat dog world". In the case of roadrunners it's a bird eat bird world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does end up creating a different kind of ecosystem. Stark this time of year.

    I know there's a whole lot of animosity between Habs and Bruins fans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter just showed images from Owl nests on her place (http://ritzvilleranchlife.blogspot.com/) Take a look.
    We have several dead swampy places around here too. I suppose the answer is the same one you have.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have guessed that some beavers have built a dam somewhere nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Owls? Nasty? By applying human morals? Nah.

    Dead swamps are sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember several lakes in north Texas which we would fish that looked like this. But they were created by dams and the trees got swallowed up except for some closer to the shoreline which them formed something of a forest in the water. As I recall, they sometimes offered good fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nature is not always as cute and fuzzy as we'd like it to be...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wise old owls know value in real estate when they see it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always liked owls. They eat many rodents, fly silently, and are mostly active at night. They are only "nasty" if you've built a nest or are a rodent. So, which camp to you fall into?

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahhaa...love this post.
    My first time here, I think..and not sure what the route was getting here..but glad I did. I liked that you decided, even tho man had ruined the land for the trees, it would be a good place for owls. I like that you see some good instead of ALL bad..good quality. Even being nasty, we all need a nest, don't we.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know that about owls stealing nests. Meanies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay. My additional bit of owl trivia: Do you know they regurgitate the leftover bones and fur of the critters they eat? They're commonly called "owl pellets" and are interesting to those committed to avian minutia. And kind of gross to everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have great horned owls (a pair) that appear in the fall and live part-time in our woods. I have seen one up close and photographed him. I am partial to screetch owls- small and not so threatening.

    I like your "declining woods" photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So refreshing!


    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  18. well man, owls are just big bullies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's one tall mower that evenly cut the tops of those trees.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since I feel a little owly this am without my first cup of coffee, I think I'd better move on to another post of yours.

    ReplyDelete