Thursday, April 2, 2015

Jetport Traffic

On the hunt...
For the last couple of years, Elenka has made her late winter calendar move a bit quicker by occupying herself with 'bird watching' in Iowa. No, you don't have to go back and read that last sentence over. You heard me right. Bird watching. Iowa. Eagle nest viewing to be more specific. The Decorah Eagles webcam. Have you heard of it? I must admit. It is quite mesmerizing to watch. As of this morning there are two baby eaglets born last week wiggling around in the nest and one last egg awaiting a 'piping'. So why are we looking at a photo of the Portland International Jetport this  morning? Well, you see she's had so much fun tracking the eagles over the last few years that this winter she added a Great Horned Owl cam on Skidaway Island, Georgia to her rapt viewing repertoire. I must admit she got me hooked on that owl cam thing. The two baby owlets were a riot goofing around, flapping their wings and 'branching out'. But why the Jetport? Well, there have been snowy owl sighting there and in an area near Biddeford Pool to the south. 
So tomorrow morning we are heading off on a snowy owl hunt. I'll be chauffeuring, and she'll be manning the binoculars.
Ha! While the rest of her family is enjoying an Easter in sunny, hot Florida (86 today), we'll be out chasing snowy owls in 40 degree weather and the chance of rain.
What's wrong with this picture?
A hunting we will go...
The things I do.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles


http://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/great-horned-owl-cam

22 comments:

  1. "The things you do…" are treats for us with your photos and for Elenka, that cute little blonde you met so many years ago. Things are looking up; you photo shows very little snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bald eagles and their chicks look great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should mention this Birdman.. P has taken an extreme interest in birding also :) I love snapping birds, but don't have the patience to wait around to long for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like watching birds... under the shining sun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness...I just saw that egg cracking open. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun time! Snowy owls are quite beautiful. I think I'll spend some time lying on the lanai this afternoon, though. But it's only going to about 82 degrees today. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the sort of thing that bring out a lot of people, after all, so you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if its the same owl that paid a visit to our nation's capitol not long ago? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if its the same owl that paid a visit to our nation's capitol not long ago? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here we go again. I'd take owl (and bird) watching in the cold anytime over Florida. Therefore I'm jealous. Again. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Florida does not make me dream , owl watching does !

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the only kind of owl I have ever seen. I'm off to check out your links!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw the eagle chicks getting fed! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had my class watching the Decorah Eagle cam a couple of years ago when the "rogue" Eagle came and the babies were no more. Sad times!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you're in luck with the snowy owls. Unlike most owls they hunt during the day, making your hunt possibly more successful. They're gorgeous, striking birds. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That would be a fun cam to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Words from a true Birder. I hope you have great success finding the snowy owl.
    Wishing you a Happy Easter!
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a good time, I just hope I am not going to read about a couple arrested in Maine with surveillance equipment near an airport and are being held under suspicion. If you need bailed out give me a call.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The two of you are birders now? Hmmm. Retirement isn't working out?

    ReplyDelete