Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Pipes

Happy St. Paddy's Day! Sunday afternoon, fighting away the showers, I attended Portland's annual St. Patrick's Day parade. It was short, but with some fine music and color. The Dunlop Highland Band (seen here) and The Claddagh Mhor Pipe Band provided the pipes, and there were kilts and sporrans abound. Since I didn't attend the ceili at RiRas afterwards, the highlights for me were the remarks of the General Consul of Ireland Michael Lonergan, with that Irish brogue and the pipe bands.
Remember: Brave Men Wear Kilts!
I haven't got one... but I WANT one!


19 comments:

  1. I love tradition whenever I see it. I also love the pipes when I can listen to them.
    Happy (belated) St. Patrick's Day.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. There definitely is something stirring in the sound of bagpipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy St. Paddy's Day

    don't take too beers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it, Birdman. You'd look dashing in kilts...but mind your underwear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this brave??? I'm not so sure, see for yourself....

    click here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easy to hear them play just looking at this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to echo brattcat . . .until I looked at Elenka's link. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see a community with a St. Patty's Day parade. Go find yourself a kilt! Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a good looking group of pipers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite sounds! I wish we had a St. Patrick's Day parade here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound from these pipers, the music is wonderful!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a man in a kilt! Happy St Patrick's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Remember that it can get cold under a kilt. And that you need a tartan. Happy Green Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A kilt? No, Birdman, thank you but I think I'll pass. However, I love love LOVE bagpipe music. There is something in my Irish heritage that sends the pipes right through me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that would be fun...and I bet loud!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated St. Patrick's Day and our oldest daughter's birthday! Kilts are cool! A very handsome, regal photo of those piping fellows!

    ReplyDelete