Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Red in Snow

On the way home yesterday in the snow shower(ya, we got another inch out here), I caught sight of this red outbuilding near the road. With the snow sticking all over, sort of like a foggy dream, the redness just seem to jump out at me. It sent me back, for a few minutes, to old man Bustin's back yard. His rows of corn and our outfield marker(they were one in the same) often came into direct conflict, when Leo whacked a long ball. I got caught once, retrieving a homerun, and he dragged me to his backdoor all the while wagging his finger in my face. I always thought, if we ever had a neighborhood theater production, he's make an outstanding Mr. McGregor from the Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit books. Nothing really came of it. All I got was the standard, "Stay out of my garden." On nights we slept out, we'd often prowl around his garden and his garden building. Not much in there, just tools and such. We never even left 'our mark'. Fast forward- in later years, when I delivered the Portland Evening Express and the Press Herald, he always wanted to talk and often rapped the paper on the top of my head. Really, he was a pretty good, old guy.

21 comments:

  1. A beautiful photograph of the red house in the snow.
    Have a great day.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty... the snow was beautiful today, the pines trees are so nice! I stood under a pine this morning though, and snow fell off the tree, and completely covered me... yay for the first days of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you're fed up with the snow...but, this is still a pretty scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The anger, or at the least...annoyance, that some adults display at children's games always amazes me. People are indeed funny. Love the shade of your building and the snow gives it a mystical feeling to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this pic and love the detail about the old man rapping the paper on your head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, It was beautiful out this morning! I actually took out my camera this morning while I was out with my dogs. Got some great shots of the trees and nature life. So pretty!!!!!!!! You Take some WONDERFUL PICTURES!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you stopped take this photo. It is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the picture BM. Sweet, sweet story too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the contrast red and white! Beautiful composition!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  10. crazy odd fool why take a picture of a house

    ReplyDelete
  11. That could well be a Christmas card. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it IS a nice photo, but I'm done with snow for this year. Every town had grizzled old guys who scared the kids. Have you or I become our town's grizzled old guy that some five year old is storing up to tell his kids about? [Love gussforlife's surly comment above.]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pairings of photos and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Outbuilding" as in deserted? Or guest house away from the main house? To my mind, almost every guest house on a grand estate is way more compelling than the mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the image and really love your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. To me this photo looks like perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the things I like about your blog is the frequent dictation of your biography. This is rich and meaningful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely beautiful scene. Love the contrast of the red house and the white snow.

    ReplyDelete