Friday, December 25, 2009

December the 25th

Pardon me as I reminisce--- As I remember it, we were always a bit envied in the neighborhood by our friends on the 25th, because we got our gifts from Santa in the morning, then in the afternoon my grandparents came over, and we got more gifts. It was like two Christmases in one day. In the morning, it was my brother and I getting matching cowboy outfits, our NHL hockey game(that was a hit with the guys right through til February) and the Roy Rogers stagecoach with all the accessories, while the girls got the easy bake oven, kitchen and their new dolls. In the afternoon, it was what Nana Josie called 'having the tree'. My grandparents and Aunt Mildred would come over about 2 PM. Their black Chevy laden with more packages, mostly for us kids. Among those gifts, there was ALWAYS a new pair of pajamas for each of us and gag gifts of Campbell's Tomato Soup wrapped up in gigantic boxes. I believe that Nana got as much of a kick out of the afternoon 'tree' as we did-- maybe more. Looking back, we really didn't get a lot in our 'haul', but we got wonderful, loving reminders to dwell upon. I, for one, open these 'packages of memories' with joy and smiles each December the 25th. Merry Christmas to all!

8 comments:

  1. a wonderful colorful image for christmas morning. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely Christmas memories.
    Merry Christmas!
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, Birdman, the memories YOU have created for us are just as precious in our minds as the ones you remember. J and I love Christmas with YOU. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staring at the tree on Chrsitmas day brings back many happy memories and thank you for sharing all of these and beyond. May all of the santas bring good tidings of joy to all of your families. Merry Christmas.....Merry Christmas......Merry Christmas......so remember the reason for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Have a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely yarn, BM. I also like your understanding that the gifts, though not rich in monetary input, were laden with love and caring. I have similar memories. A set of cricket stumps. A homemade brown paper kite with every scrap of fabric tied into its tail. The latest Girls' Own Compendium.

    Beats the most modern of e-gadgets to my ageing mind.

    All the best to you and yours over this season. And I wish you contentment as you resolve your health issues early in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful images in your memory bank and thanks for sharing with us! You really were rich in gifts of love, affection, and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You give us a gift each day, Birdman. Like Christmas all year round.

    ReplyDelete