Sunday, December 27, 2009

Play's the Thing

This playground is caught in a desolation mode. A few days before Christmas, up on Eastern Promenade, no snow, no kids, no spirit. Just a cold biting wind, that makes 10 minutes outside without a windbreak seem like a lifetime. However, there is a fabulous view up there, if you can stand it, even on a winter morning. It seems like kids today need elaborate mazes, castles or some sort of theme to tantalize them on the playground at schools and neighborhoods, that is if you can pull the away from the Xboxes and iPhones. For me, give me a chained swing, monkey bars and a teeter totter and I was a happy kid. Really, my wants still are few, my life style simple, and my aim is true. At least, I like to think so.

12 comments:

  1. Portland has a lot less. Some places have nothing like this. Others lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simples pleasures these days are hemmed in by "health & saftey" regulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could be a summer's day with blue sky like that! I'll take your word for it that it's cold.
    Thanks for dropping in on my blog - I've had a look back through yours. You have a really good eye for interesting detail. I will visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like spring there :-)
    I wish I could sit for a moment on that big toy
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Empty swings, waiting for children. . .
    Good luck on Tuesday, birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh have times changed...simplicity is certainly gone..

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks beautiful out, Birdman, but I believe you about the cold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a view . . . there is something here for everyone. I don't remember the West prom having a playground like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was over at Brattleboro DP and I just read about your app't at MMC on Tuesday. Clueless & I wish you the very best outcome. I once logged 7 weeks at Maine Med getting excellent care and an awesome outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so sad how simplicity has been stolen from our children. A couple of great books on why it's changed, and how we can change it back: Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv, and Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy. I'm raising two little girls, and if my friends and myself are any indication, playtime will once again be about running, jumping, and imagination. Now I'm going to be a role model and get off the computer... as soon as I say good luck with your surgery, and heal fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you about life then and now. Without going too much deep into things, kids usually follow the path of parents and then of friends. Usually not always...

    ReplyDelete