Sunday, December 6, 2009

Snow Tree

Finally, it arrived late yesterday afternoon and continued well into the night. Our first snow- the first of many I'm sure. Six inches of nature's white stuff that will be enough to break out the snowblower this morning. For me, there's always something peaceful and reassuring about winter's first dusting. It's one of Mother Nature's subtle nudges that reminds us that she is still in control around here. On Stevens and Coyle, were always 'blessed' with very long driveways that we kids had to clear by the time Dad got home in the afternoon. As I remember, it was usually me that led the way, and sometimes just me- all the way to the end. My grandfather's classic Cole's snow scoop was a constant companion in most of these winter storms. One of my first jobs, as I remember, was clearing the walkway of snow at Casco Bank down at the corner. Another of Dad's second jobs was cleaning the bank each afternoon and the task of clearing the snow was assigned to me. The sidewalk there had to be done by 9 AM when the bank opened. I think he paid me for this; I really can't remember for sure. These days though, with my trusty snowblower,... Let it snow!

4 comments:

  1. This is such a magical image! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hilda, Birdman. This is a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The text wraps the image up so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a nice image, great blobs of snow and the tree - and I'm imagining you warm inside, shooting through the window!
    Three Rivers Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete