Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Fishing Spot

I'm still on the water today, sort of.  Here's a piece of the city that many frequent, but not me. Big kids. Little kids. Moms and Dads. Just plain drifters. Come to the end of this wharf mid-days and after, and there's always a pretty good crowd here. But not me. Never got into the fine art of putting a worm on a hook and spending hours fighting off bugs and enduring inclement weather. I remember once we were headed here. Leo got the idea that going fishing on our bikes would be a fine way to spend a summer day. So a bunch of us got some gear together (we'd get some bait on the wharf), figured out the easiest way to get there on bikes, didn't tell our parents and we were off. As I remember, we got as far as the Baxter Boulevard, got sidetracked trying our luck in the bay and never quite made it to Commercial Street. I wasn't too excited about the prospect of droppin' a line anyway, but as always the bike adventure was fun. My grandfather took me fishing once too. No luck there, but the rain added another element. Fun time. My only real luck came a couple of times fishing for sunfish on Forest Lake. Caught a couple. No big deal. That it my entire fishing experience. 
It's over.
I'm done.
Hope these guys have fun though.

22 comments:

  1. That lady in the orange looks like she's fishing with a massive chain. Has plans to catch something huge, no doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Birdman, you wouldn't last long with avid sportsmen and women on Minnesota lakes. You should really try your luck ice fishing; it could change your mind (but I doubt it!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishing in the summer is bad enough. Fishing on a frozen lake, in an ice shack, when the temps are 0° or below? Are you dreaming????

      Delete
    2. I will remember to post some truly luxurious ice fishing "shacks" this coming winter, and you will dream of visiting and fishing then!!

      Delete
  3. The same here: I see them around the piers at any hour of the day. I am sure there are always a few there 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fishing may be just an excuse to get out of the house and sit by the water. Fish? Just don't bait the hook and there is little chance of catching anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be nice to get out in the sunshine and do some fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe I have ever gone fishing. At least I have no memory of it. I know for a fact that my dad never went fishing or took any of us kids fishing. My dad was never much a fan of sports of any kind. Probably a good thing he had three girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never understood the appeal of fishing... or the taste of fish, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad and I would go fishing along rivers when I was a kid but we never caught much or anything that I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a bit crowded for me but I'll go fisbing any day. And I fully intend to eat my catch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well my hubby and son love to fish, but me, not so much. I'll sit in the sun and watch the others or read. Enjoy a fish dinner, but not to catch it!
    cm

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think i only went fishing once with my oldest sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spent many days fishing, in a boat, with my dad. The lakes in North Dakota were always calling his name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do need to have a lot of patience I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice way to spend the day if you like fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you. Don't understand this any more than golf. And where I grew up you wouldn't want to eat anything you caught.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been a fan of fishing either really.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some fly fishers do their fishing in the most beautiful places I can think of and I suspect it's almost as much the place as the activity. But judging by my husband I think fishing is either in your blood or not.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only thing more boring than fishing is watching other people fish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with you. I have never been a fisher, either.

    Do you really not know about vaping? Those little shops are sprouting up all over the place. Google vaping or e-cigarette.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As an adult I've fished just a few time when camping. Used it to pass the time....catch and release. As a kid I spent 4.5 yrs. in South Dakota where the streams ran clear. We too used our bikes to get us to the fishing hole but it was up in a canyon so we could only ride so far and then we just left the bikes until we went home after a couple of days. Trout, my favorite fresh water catch.

    ReplyDelete