Sunday, July 12, 2015

Island Ave.

Island life is different.
Whether it's Monhegan, Little Diamond or a pretty populated hunk of land like Peaks, it's a bit
contrary. And that's in a good way. At least to my way of thinking it is. Even for a visitor just staying for the day or the evening, it seems the minute your feet hit land you can feel it. As a matter of fact, I always start getting a different vibe as soon as I find myself a seat on the boat or ferry. I look around and notice the items my fellow travelers have packed for the trip. Their clothes and mannerisms seem to set them apart from other voyagers like me. I'm in it for a few hours. They are in it for the long haul. Approximately 850 make it their year round dwelling on Peaks Island. As you might imagine, this number just explodes in the summer season. But even someone like me, who's there for just a few hours, life is at a different pace. Time didn't forget the place, but there seems to be no real sense of time other then the boat back to the mainland schedule. I listen; I watch; I look at the year-round 'natives' and think of none other than my old, dear friend Alfred E. Neuman who graces the cover every month of one of my all time favorite magazines, Mad
His philosophy of life works perfectly out here on an island.
"What, me worry?"
By the way, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Right now!
Ah, island life.

11 comments:

  1. A wonderful place to go on vacation but I'm sure I'd like to live permanently on one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. Islands have a different vibe totally!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I dunno. I can see from this picture you've already got to deal with a traffic jam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have our Islands where people live too but there are no cars - everyone is on bikes or walking. There is a fire truck and some service vehicles and that is it. It too is like some mythical place right in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite the same here on our islands, but not in summer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I could deal well with that island life :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I would like to try it for a little while. I don't know whether I would like it or not but I would sure like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ferries are my favorite form of transportation. They always seem to go to interesting places.
    There's a line in "The Descendants" where the main character, and island native, talks about island life, how everyone thinks it's just paradise. He essentially doesn't agree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Island living is the best! Kay's comment is interesting because a Hawaiian born friend of mine said that eventually he had to get off the Island because it was too confining. I'd like to try that Island for awhile. In the meantime, I am satisfied with summer island living on Washington Island, Wi, and, yes, I love the ferry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where my parents lived for several years in cottage country, the population went up ten times over the summer before crashing again in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you about Peak's...and those Maine islands...Have you & Elenka seen the MPBN documentary, The Women Artists of Monhegan Island?
    http://www.mpbn.net/Television/TelevisionHighlights/tabid/301/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3460/ItemId/30352/Default.aspx
    You can also catch a little on youtube...

    ReplyDelete