Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Theme Day: Upside Down

Today, July 1, 2015, is Theme Day across the world-wide CDP (citydailyphoto) blog community. This month's theme is 'upside-down and after my sister told me what she had done, I knew I had my 'theme'.
You see. My friend Donna has done it.
Joanne, my sister, is doing it now.
What have they been up to? Burying a perfectly good saint, that's what. And they're not the only ones. If you've got a house to sell, get your hands on a statue of St. Joseph and bury him upside down. Lots of Catholics, Christians and even non-believers with properties to sell are into this bit of superstition. So where did it all begin? One story says, the tradition stretches back to the 1500s and St. Teresa of Avila. She founded an order of Carmelite nuns. At one time, the nuns were searching for a piece of property for another convent. To help in their quest, St. Teresa asked the nuns to bury blessed medals of St. Joseph around the property. Soon land had been found for the convent. 
Do you believe it? Heck, in this housing market, it's probably not a bad thing to take a chance on. Yes, Donna sold her house quite a few years ago. Joanne's is still on the market in Oregon, so I wish her well.
Now, to the 'hardest working man in real estate'---
St. Joseph, do your thing!
*("Bury me in plastic, please. Your friend St. Joseph")
Marchin, my brother in real estate, how many do this?

23 comments:

  1. How interesting! I'm sending this to a Maine friend who is a real estate agent.
    I hope all the St. Joseph statues don't start disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never know about these superstitions, but what can it hurt! Interesting post below too. Have a great day! cm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ol St. Joe--Patron saint of families. My Mother did that when she was tryng to sell her house. Apparently the Saint was working elsewhere.
    Great theme idea.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, that is superstition that I had not heard of before. Probably because every house I've sold had a buyer ready before I even put it on the market. I guess I've been lucky that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll remember this tip Birdman, but I'm hoping to stay put in my house for a while yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll remember this tip Birdman, but I'm hoping to stay put in my house for a while yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just to sell my house, but it is an apartment on the seventh floor: no way I can bury a saint here! Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto what VP said though not on the 7th floor...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is too funny. VP's comment speaks to the goofiness of such religious claptrap. You might as well bury any old saint on the Lone Prairie. Same result.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post for Theme Day. And you've reminded me of one more reason that I'm happy to live in an apartment. I don't have to think about selling it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like maybe we need a patron saint for apartment dwellers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a new one to me, though it's certainly interesting. I'm more inclined to consider doing one feng shui "cure" or another if I want to sell real estate. Seems a little less rude than burying a poor, innocent saint.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny take on the theme day! Is there a saint for getting a job? I'd happily bury him/her upside down. It couldn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chuckle of a take on the theme, Birdman. I wish your sister luck.

    The real-estate market here in Sydney is crazy at the moment. The clearance rate at auction has been in the high 80% for most of 2015, with a dozen or so suburbs achieving 100% clearance week-in and week-out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Houses in the Toronto area are selling at an alarming rate at prices higher than the asking ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just getting around to theme day. What a great post. I can honestly say, I've never buried a saint!

    Janis
    GDP
    http://www.greensborodailyphoto.com/2015/06/y-is-for-yum-yum.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. A friend of mine recently bought me a plastic St. Joseph for burying upside down when I'm ready to put my house on the market!!! Terrific interpretation for Upside Down Day, Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i know people who have done this and they swear it works...we just bought a new house (in the process of moving everything now) and now i'm wondering if the sellers buried the saint?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the sculpture. It's the first I've heard of this notion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I raised the question on Facebook. My realtor friend from Maine, now in Philly, replied "I have heard of it, a lot of my colleagues are Catholic and will bury a St. Joseph for a house that's been a tough sell!" And another added "One is suppose to bury it upside down in the BACKYARD. ...Oh my friend got hers dug up twice by a critter, took forever to sell that house! LOL I told her it was probably an angel working on her behalf to get her to the right buyer."

    Birdman, I was wondering if the statue is dug up after the sale.

    ReplyDelete