Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Orange Lilies

Yesterday was a perfect summer day here in the country. The temperature reached the low 80's with little humidity. Our day lilies have exploded all around our gardens. A warm Maine summer has invaded. Last evening we sat out on the deck around the new fire pit and took it all in. This wonderful home in the country has done us well over the many years, but alas there are more days behind us on this beautiful property then ahead. It won't be a happy day when we have to pack up and move the 'wagon train' along to another chapter in our lives. Elenka and I are both realists. We know the day is coming, but we're not slashing the days on a calendar sitting and waiting. It'll be here when it gets here. 
Days of bliss are days to savor. So we'll relish every hour.

Oh my gosh!
Out my kitchen window, right now, a woodchuck is a nibblin'.
It's the first one I've seen all summer.
Gotta go drag out my Havahart trap, I guess.
"Not in my garden!"
"Come to daddy! You crazy varmint."
Perfection, I guess, doesn't have a whole lot of staying power.

20 comments:

  1. That goodness for Havahart traps. I have four!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those chairs; if we were not downsizing, I would invest in a couple for our own backyard, which is small but backs up to St. Kate's campus so we have had 39 years here without development abutting our property. Not the country but great neighborhood. Yes, be realistic; if it were not for health issues, we would decide to stay, but it looks like an apt is in our future, too. Doesn't sound so bad, tho, when you get to this stage of life! Keep the faith, baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous photo! Those flowers are fantastic. As for the moving part, just did that and frankly, I'm pretty darn happy with new digs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so believe in Havahart traps! I hope that groundhog doesn't have a lot of relatives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our day lilies are about a week behind yours, and yesterday was not exactly perfect. The heat index was in triple digits, and for some reason machinery in and around the house failed catastrophically. But I am enjoying your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice place with lovely flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous image that makes me imagine the beauty of the others around your garden. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for stopping by Portland Oregon Daily Photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Live for today!
    I figure we could put in one of the stair machines and stay here forever. Can walk to 2 grocery stores, beer store, liquor store, pub - what else would we need?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess that woodchuck just chucked wood! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy it as long as you can! That is plan as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. groundhog! i know how much you love varmints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love our country spot. I'd like to think we'll never have to leave...
    And we have deer. Lots of deer. I just shoo'd two away. Talking didn't work. I had to bark.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautifully composed shot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your orange day lilies and white Adirondack chairs. You have quite a fine place back there.

    And I hear you about the days becoming short at that house. For most of the past week I have been going around my West Hartford house, filling trash bags and moving junk closer to the door. Yesterday a big dumpster arrived and today I had three young men filling it up. After 35 years in this fine house, it will be time to pass it on to someone else either later this year or more likely next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! You better come visit me in High School! - Victoria (aka your favorite)

    ReplyDelete