Thursday, July 30, 2015

Harbor Night

Night closes in on Bar Harbor on July 25.
This is the view from Jane's balcony at the Bar Harbor Inn. Quite spectacular, yet pleasantly serene. Growing up, the task of babysitting us kids, while Mom took Sister Adelaide and Sister Marie out for fried clams, often fell to Jane, and I for one took on the responsibility of trying to drive her crazy. As I remember, she took  most of my antics with a smile. "Oh Mark, ..." I must say; she hasn't changed much. Her easy going nature is still a strong attribute that makes you want to spend time with her. I like to think that I know quite a bit about our family's bloodlines, but she puts me to shame. Ask her anything about the three sisters Josie (my grandmother), Frances (her grandmother), Aunt Bea or their brother Howard, and she's a walking Wikipedia. Jane can recall our family's glories and their sins. Each time I see her she seems to reveal little known trinkets about our family's travails that I never knew, let alone remember.
Knowing Jane, she probably knows stuff about me that I don't even know about me.
Heck, about little ol' me?
Probably shouldn't see the light of day.
... or night for that matter.

20 comments:

  1. What a great view and lovely thoughts. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother was a bit like that, but much less patient, and she knew mostly thing on my father's side. The picture of the port is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to get Jane to record her memories; she sounds like a wonderful treasure trove of information. I responded to your question on my blog today, Cheez, give a girl time to answer your pesky questions!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I really love your Harbor Night photo today. Makes me wish that our future holds a visit to Maine fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you brave enough to ask her for a few of your stories?
    Wow, so that's the famous Bar Harbor. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful harbor photo. Looks like there are some serious boats on those piers. Good thing Jane likes you or all your secrets would be included in her family stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. she sounds like a family treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great place to celebrate a big birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo! and Jane sounds like an amazing lady!!
    Have a great day! cm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite a view! You need to keep in her good graces, since she knows where the proverbial skeletons are buried!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could add her memoirs to yours, you know...

    Beautiful serene evening view.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful shot - what a gorgeous scene.
    I've forgotten so much about my youth and family. I wish I had a Jane for fallback. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful capture!

    I think every family has a Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane sounds like a great person. Lucky to have her, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photo. Jane sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete