Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Java Delight

I'll let these gulls finish up this discarded popcorn. I'm heading across the street to get me a chocolate coconut donut and a hazelnut ice coffee with 2 creams. Interesting. Coffee looks to be king around New England. This summer there are still new coffee shops popping up all over, and hear Starbucks is pushing up the price on all their choices. There must be a lot of moolah in java! I remember when I was in high school the first Dunkin' Donut shops first made the scene. Before our first class, a bunch of us would pile into Eddie' Chevy and head to the Woodfords Corner shop. My first sample was a small coffee, 2 sugars, 2 creams. Mmmmmm. Delicious. Certainly better than that Sanka stuff I first sampled in Tom's kitchen. Back then, DD's big draw was ALL the different types of donuts that were behind the counter on the shelves. Almost too many to choose from for little ol' me. And, oh yes, "We serve cups of coffee to go with that tasty pastry." Now, it seems like, it's the other way around. All their ads on TV and in various papers SCREAM coffee, in all its various concoctions of lattes or iced drinks. Life changes. Tastes change. We consumers have fickled tastes. We change like the tides. I'm ok with that.
What's your favorite morning beverage?
Don't tell me Tang either.
We're not out in Space today.
Well, at least I'm not.

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green tea.
    It was all over the news this morning...gas prices going down and Starbucks prices going up. Must be a slow news day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sanka! that's a blast from the past...i actually have tang in the cupboard though...our donut place was winchells!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and coffee is my morning drink...on my last cup right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only coffee for me is an espresso!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't laugh but my favorite morning drink is water. Just plain old H2O. I really do hate coffee. You won't find me dinking it any form, not even as ice cream or tiramisu. However, that chocolate coconut donut is sounding pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like only the coffee I make at home, which you would find rather weak, I would guess. Any donut is OK though. But I'm not so gullible as to think you won't share a piece of your donut with the gulls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never did get into coffee. I usually start the day with milk or tea. Earl Grey, with an obscene amount of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First a cup of Earl Grey tea followed by a flat white! Followed by many flat whites :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First a cup of Earl Grey tea followed by a flat white! Followed by many flat whites :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can count the number of cups of coffee I've had in my life on one hand. Make that less than one hand. I'll take English Breakfast tea most every time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good old Yorkshire Orange Pekoe tea for me - never got into the coffee habit but will take a latte about once a year! Tea places are the big trend here - they are opening all over the place but there are still hundreds more coffee shops than tea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Starbuck's Italian roast brewed strong, about 20 ounces by the time I'm through. Then I'm ready for the day.

    No donuts, ever, although DD is invading our area. (Tim Horton's, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely a coffee guy. I like Dunkin Donuts coffee but the Starbucks ambience is what I enjoy. Sit for a while, read the paper, maybe shoot the bull with a friend.

    A couple of days ago I stopped at the rest stop in Charlton on the Mass Pike. I got a small coffee at the McDonalds. The board showed it as $1.79. I handed the cashier two dollar bills and she gave me one back. "Only one dollar for seniors." I didn't know whether to say thank you or punch her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. An iced coffee does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peaceful looking corner; love the stones and brick patterns.

    ReplyDelete