The boyhood home of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was built in 1785 and housed three generations of his family. It was the first wholly brick house constructed in the city, and the third floor was added to the structure after awhile. Anne Longfellow Pierce, his younger sister, lived in the house til her death in 1901. At that time, according to her will, it was deeded to the Maine Historical Society. It is located near Monument Square on Congress Street.