Saturday, January 8, 2011

Eternal Rest

It is a magnificent building both inside and out, but I have visited it, over the years, way too many times. The Conroy-Tully Crawford Funeral Home sits on State Street quite close to Mercy Hospital. If memory serves me right, I do believe the first time I set foot within the front doors, with Mom and Dad, was for the wake of a childhood friend TG. He was 19 and passed away do to kidney complications and in the end failure of the organ altogether. As I remember, it all happened way too fast. We boys had no idea he was sick and had struggled with this illness since birth. Eddie and I did get in to see him two nights before he died. When we were leaving, Mrs. G- came up to us outside his room, and she was in quite an emotional state, crying terribly. I was confused to say the least. Two days later, I understood. I'm sure we've all had similar events in our teen years. This is one unpleasant memory that won't leave me, and I guess that's a good thing. No kid this young, with a world yet to unfold, needs to leave this world so early. And let me be a bit selfish for a moment-- no teen of 17 needs to suffer the loss of a dear friend at such a pivotal point in his life. Peace.

13 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful structure for sure. The wreath sheltered under the portico is very handsome. I agree about the difficulty in saying goodbye to a friend so young. I lost my only daughter in a auto accident just 5 days short of her 18th birthday. The loss of one so young is a wound that takes a long time to heal, if ever. She died almost 22 years ago and wound is still fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the friend never talked about his illness all those years?
    Yes, it must have been hard for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always hard when people die at a young age. I have lost a few friends over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always hard to lose a friend/loved one, but more difficult in the teen years when so much life is ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful building.

    It is always hard to lose a friend, especially one so one. The first [human] death we face can be quite traumatic. One that we are never prepared for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a magnificent building indeed - people are dying to get in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birdman -- It is so difficult sometimes to talk about the death of a friend or a loved one. A house or a place can remind us of our loss -- remembering their friendship or love. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice respectful photo today. I appreciate the thoughts it stimulated. I can deal with death of elderly people and even people my age; we didn't get cheated. It just seems unfair when young people die too early with life's experiences unexperienced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad memories, beautiful building

    ReplyDelete