Thursday, January 6, 2011

Stairway

Here is a curving wall and stairway leading to Masterson Hall on the campus of the University of Southern Maine. This building's design and wear is in stark contrast to yesterday's shot of the 3 story tenement on Valley Street. Like most small cities, Portland has an interesting blend of buildings that are the old and the new, the historical and the eye-sores, the abandon, and the lived in. This is one of my favorite structures on the Portland campus. I think it carries a nice look inside and out. A while back, I received my Master's Degree here in the city.

15 comments:

  1. Birdman,
    Beautifully composed image...
    with the stairs and building curving...

    Best wishes
    Wong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a handsome building. Even tho it's probably been some time ago, congratulations on your degree. In what?? It's an achievement; I always loved studying on college campuses. In fact, I need some intellectual stimulation right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautifully framed photo of an attractive building!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going with Sharon's characterization of it as a beautifully framed photo of an attractive building. I like the red and tan detailing and the juxtaposition of the curves and flats. Nice photo, nice building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the colors as well! The curves are also nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the overall reddish tone of this picture...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I concur with all of the above! especially the composition part.
    & yes, I am curious too, what is your masters in? That is quite an accomplishment Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A natural cherish for the place where one graduated... :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Portland's definitely got some great architectural gems and oddities and you capture them all with such style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks exactly what I expected of a school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have known...English degree. When someone asked me what I planned to do with mine (as a means of criticism), as kindly as I could I told them "to make human beings out of people."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the curve of the building in this shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy seeing University campuses. And also hearing of ones background as yours in higher education. Well done Birdman!

    ReplyDelete