Thursday, January 27, 2011

Winter Escape

Watch out! Look up! Falling ice! It's a frozen fire escape on Free Street, with treacherous steps with every move. Escape from the Great White North? My Mom and Dad lived their entire life, for the most part, within the confines of the great state of Maine. One sister moved West to Oregon, when her husband got relocated. Someday, she says they will return to the East. But where? Another sister ventured to Florida about 15 years ago and seems quite content there. My brother and I are basically 'lifers' here, although he lived in Massachusetts for a short time. Elenka's parents moved from Jersey (can it really be) 22 years ago to warmer climate of Florida, in a move that really shocked their two daughters. People can change! So just where does that leave us? Will we make an 'escape' to the South someday? You just never know. I must admit, we've thought about it recently, especially when we get a stretch of temps like our recent ones. I love this state dearly, everything about it. However, as that aging process kicks in a bit more each year, those warmer climes are looking better and better all the time. That change, if it happens, will be a very difficult move to make. Ah... an escape.

19 comments:

  1. I know that feeling. I wouldn't mind living a few months every year in a warmer climate. Some scary icicles here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, I've got to start cleaning the attic and downsizing!! Dust off all my old bikinis! Dig out my Jimmy Buffet CD's (records)! I'll go out and get some sunscreen this weekend. yippeeee!
    Thanks for the heads up! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Florida is too hot, find a place a little further north. OR get us two condos, one here and one there. OK, Birdman, you get right on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I stay in your mother-in-law apartment? Love the punctuation of icicles in this, Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on down! I agree with Steffe about those scary icicles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna go, too! I really like North Carolina - Chapel Hill area would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful composition.
    The ice coming down are nice..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the icy pic and know the north/south dilemma well. We're doing the split-solution now, but there may come a day when we have to choose and that will be hard. Stay warm, birdman and Elenka!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing how icicles can jazz up even the most functional paraphernalia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive icicles. Hope you are staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same thoughts every winter - but I like it here - just don't like the cold. Will have to turn up the heat and make some margaritas! Great icicles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those icicles look like decorations for the back side of this building. This photo did remind me of something that happended when I was working in Chicago in the late 90's. I was attending a theatre performance when the fire alarm sounded. I was in the balcony and had to exit the building down a metal fire escape covered in ice & snow in high heels. It turned out to be a false alarm but that was after standing in the cold for 45 minutes without my coat waiting for the fire department to give the all clear. Ahhh...such memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That must be a drafty place to live. I agree about the recent weather and thoughts of living in a warmer climate, but I agree with your missus that FL is too hot (and humid). Stay warm and don't hurt your back shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. C'mon down, bro. Thing about Florida, yeah it gets hot... but we have air (that's air conditioning to you lifers) !!!! Schools too!!

    Even when it gets cold here, you know it's like they say, just wait a minute!

    Florida Checks In!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My parents live in FL and I LOVE visiting there. Have even thought about moving there myself. Lovely state.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The icicles look great against that red brick. Wonderful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the winter scenes lead «Louis» to ask: What "Global Warming"?.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific shot! Charleston has some warm stretches in winter, like recently. That's one reason we moved here from Ohio all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete