Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beauty/Beast

Yuk! First of all let's get this taken care of right off the bat... the birdbath has been cleaned. My grandparents had a small but cozy back yard in Westbrook. When I climbed up next to the sink, I could survey all the backyard and the distant misshaped spruce trees with a sweeping glance. There was a large circular flower bed, lined with rocks my grandfather had painted white just below the kitchen window. Nana's flowers were beautiful, flourished all summer long and kept the ceramic mother duck and her three ducklings company. Next to them she kept a birdbath filled with sparkling water. If it got low, it was my job to grab the hose and fill it to the brim. I could do that. On each visit it seemed, I would go out back and move the ducks just a bit and rub their heads. Don't ask me why. I wondered what made her garden's flowers so big and colorful. On a visit one fall day, mystery solved. I heard shovels hard at work. The garden was all dug up, and the dirt piled high beside it. Grampa and a buddy were sweating leaning on their shovels. I asked Nana why she let them destroy her garden. She then went on and related to me the the nuances involved in something she called the septic tank. But I still didn't get it really.
"When you flush, doesn't it go forever?" I said.
"Not really." She replied with a chuckle and moved away. Another life lesson learned!

23 comments:

  1. Wouldn't your grandparents have loved to know how much you would remember, all the small and large details of your life with them. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny story! I rather like the reflection. I think the flower and dirty water make a nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the "buddy" was dad! I sat and watched gramps and dad dig this garden once, and never again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as you can see a reflection Birdman, the water's just fine!! Another fine story, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful the number of things we experience and hear about as kids and how those gems shape our understanding later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tres belle macro avec ces gouttes d'eau

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always good to provide clean, fresh water for our fine feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't waste a thing, did they? Fine picture, Birdman -- both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your picture has reminded me that I need to go out and clean my birdbaths! Nice story too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We on the farm know septics are more important than garden flowers.... *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luckily for the birds, I think my wife just changed the birdbath yesterday!
    Regards from EAGAN

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of your best stories yet and a lovely photo to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the connections your mind makes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. funny story indeed!
    I also like the reflection shot here and good contrast of color as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Birdman -- Septic tanks are wonderful. Your memories are sharp and fun -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL ... same thing occurred to me as a kid ... never knew what a septic tank was until they were digging it up in the backyard one day ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. One more nice story, the flower and... the rest make for a nice contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Soil just isn't the same these days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope your grandmother didn't have vegetables in her garden!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha. You're very funny Birdman. That's why I come back! Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A little gem. You are the modern American memoirist. Ever looked for a publisher?

    ReplyDelete
  22. "When you flush, doesn't it go on forever?"...I remember flushing things down the toilet and imagining the journey I'd just sent them on. Things flushed down the toilet had a far more exciting life than I in my little row house in Baltimore. I loved this story and the memories it evoked. Thanks, B-man.

    ReplyDelete