Saturday, May 24, 2014

Backwards Z

I'm thinking the letter Z this morning.
Don't ask me why, but when I looked at this tree Zorro came racing back. For three seasons 1957-1959, I watched, as Don Diego de la Vega attempted to save his part of the world. Yes, I had a cape, made from an old towel. Yes, I had a whip fashioned with a stick and a piece of thin rope. I remember. If I got it wet by dipping it in a bit of water, I could really make it snap and render a great sound. I 'rode' on a stunning white stead, dressed all in black, at least in my mind, and saved beautiful maidens one after the other. I jumped from picnic table to stairs nimbly, as my black-caped hero and could never be caught. Well, a least until I heard the cowbell, and it was time for supper. Hey, even a hero needs to eat. Growing up, I spent a lot of hours in fantasy worlds.
Some believe, from time to time, fantasy is still my thing.
I can't debate that.
I just leave the mark of Z!

17 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with an active imagination and a rich fantasy life. I also watched Zorro. But I feel sorry for the poor girdled tree. That cable should be removed. Zorro stands up for the downtrodden and girdled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I spent plenty of time glued to the screen during Zorro episodes, too. I never was quite into the cape thing, though. I always thought it was a bit impractical for someone who more often than not found himself in "tight places." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your imagination doth run on tracks unbeknownst to most folks which means your name is probably Stephen King and you're just pretending to be Birdman. Or maybe you are in fact, Zorro. I've never been called Zorro, but someone said once I was a zero, which was not very nice. Or maybe all this stuff about Zorro is to throw us off the track because there are whispers around the Net that you are really Batman. That's because someone once saw you in your Batman pajamas!

    And FYI, I do not wear ugly pants when playing golf. In the winter when it's cold I usually wear nicely-ironed Dockers or the equivalent. In the summer, I wear a variety of really classy shorts which show off my toned, tanned and well-muscled legs. I also wear a shirt. I tried going shirtless once but the women golfers chased me around the course yelling and screaming. I dropped my clubs and ran for my car and safety.

    Or maybe that was a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would Lowell be a new kind of Zorro?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Lowell together would be trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to see a girdled tree like that; it's being killed.
    But I do like to remember Zorro. Funny how some of the best the 50s heroes wore masks. Doesn't sound like you added that to your wardrobe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a rich fantasy life even now? NO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes! great times of imagination


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, Don Diego de la Vega, Don Alessandro, Sergent Garcia ! We still have them on TV here, but not in B&W anymore .I remember having been in love with Don Diego, he had such a beautiful voice ! :o) I still can sing the song ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched those same shows w/my younger brothers. Your post also reminds me of my book REPLAY -- the boy in that book lives a vivid, Walter-Mitty-ish life. . . And the Z reminds me of Ruby Holler -- a weird character named simply 'Z' appears. . . Not trying to self-promote, but just sayin' . . . are your students too old for those books? Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Out of the night, when the full moon is bright, comes a horseman known as Zorro. This bold renegade carves a 'Z' with his blade, a 'Z' that stands for Zorro!

    ReplyDelete