Thursday, May 8, 2014

Tunnel

Portland's not a big city. It's what I like to call a small, big city. It's an oxymoron that works. I too thought I had seen it all, until this. I saw a picture of this tunnel awhile back and really thought it was of the OTHER Portland. I've often mistakenly, Googled just 'Portland restaurants' and gotten all excited seeing places I've never visited or seen. Then I realize it's the Portland out there, not here. So when I glanced and caught a glimpse of this place, I really thought I was out West. I was wrong. Elenka and I found it this winter, but couldn't really get at it, because of snow cover leading to it. This week I returned and walked the length. It's very close. It's just off Commercial Street, and even still has a bit of track running inside.
As I said before, thought I'd seen it all.
I was wrong.
Maybe I have now.
Then again...
I doubt it.

12 comments:

  1. Tulsa is also a small big city and every time I think I know all of it I find something that tells me no, I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder how long it's been out-of-use? Last nigh Amtrak arrive in the newly remodeled downtown St. Paul, MN depot for the first train arrival in 43 years. Missed a photo op, but my grandson arrived in town on it. Thrilling. Who doesn't love trains??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always something new to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Portland ME is so wonderful! I'm assuming this is East end of Commercial street, near the track that go up Munjoy Hill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not... opposite end, near the Casco Bay Bridge heading to SP.

      Delete
  5. Love the bit of track as a reminder of what was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the two Portlands must be a lot alike. I've done the same with googling and thinking oh, what a great place only to find I am looking at Maine. Yelp, there is always more to be seen. The tunnel is beautiful in a nostalgic sort of way. Kind of like how bridges are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like that tunnel. It's scary. I won't go in it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look of the tunnel. Feels quite old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't believe you didn't discover it in your youthful exploitative days with friends -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bet it's a scary place at night.

    ReplyDelete