Sunday, May 11, 2014

Bridge3

When I was about 12, a couple of the guys and I had the bright idea to try to ride our bikes to South Portland. We thought it would be fun to cross over the then Million Dollar Bridge. We had no real idea what that meant. We had driven in our parents' cars over it. No problem. We didn't plan on a couple of factors. One was the wind. There was quite a breeze blowing going over it. Oh yeah, and back then there was no bike path, so you had travel right along with the cars and trucks whizzing by you. Another aspect that we didn't plan on was that it was a drawbridge, and the middle had the iron grid-work that made for tricky maneuvering. If you got caught in it, it could dump you easily to the pavement in the middle of traffic.
Next up?
Bloody knees.
Luckily, we escaped unscathed.
My youth was a daring time.

Happy Mother's Day, Elenka!

14 comments:

  1. Where we see a bridge, you see a fabulous memory! Yes , our youth was daring time. I dont see such adventures anymore in today youth life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reference to the "wind" factor reminded me of an attempt I made a few years ago to ride my bike over the Oregon Inlet bridge on the Outer Banks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things we did when we were twelve makes me shutter now. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many of these escapades did your mother learn about? oy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you lovingly gave your Mother tributes over the years, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a kid I had a true fear of bridges. Probably because I grew up seeing what havoc the Mississippi River could cause. Anyway, there is no way I would ever attempt to cross our bridge on a bicycle. I wouldn't even walk across that bridge. In fact, I still have nightmares about that bridge and I haven't lived there for 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I wonder how we lose that fearless kid thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The occasional bloody scrape is almost to be expected when you're growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most of the things we did as kids would get us taken away from our families and put in foster care today.

    ReplyDelete

  10. I don't think I was that fearless as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a wonder we all came through alive. I did my share of dumb, dangerous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was a bit older than you when I rode my bike over the Million Dollar Bridge. It was my first & last time. Phew!

    ReplyDelete