Saturday, May 17, 2014

Drydock

In-between a black tank car and some sort of propane unit on the left, there's a sloop in drydock here just off Commercial Street. To me, an untrained observer, this vessel looks to be many months away from hitting open water again. I don't consider myself to be a vain man, although others might disagree. Hair replacement, botox treatments and lip enhancement surgeries are not in my life plan. Aging naturally is fine with me. Refurbishing this sloop for the open seas is the way to go in this case. In fact, it's the only way to move forward an enjoy more 'chapters' at sea.
For me, I'm going to keep 'sailing' in this condition.
I'll just be careful not to attempt angry seas.
Explore.
Dream.
Discover.  

8 comments:

  1. I decided a few years back not to go for the "enhancements" but I recently found out a woman where I live is my age but she easily looks 10 years younger. Still, I will refrain but at times I give it thought. It's difficult not to given the stigma against age, particularly with women. Happy sails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about the life plan and also about the boat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you clear sailing always, Birdman.
    (sung to the tune of Barbra's song Clear Sailing)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some boats are worthy of restoration; others not so much. I think women are more susceptible to feel the need for the kinds of things you mentioned because they are reminded endlessly of the need to be "beautiful" as defined by our culture.

    I agree with you, but would argue, too, that there are things we can do as we age to make aging more graceful which not only help us look better but feel better. Like keep one's weight down, eat right, and don't go sailing in an unworthy vessel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a boat well worth restoring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes somebody please give that boat a wee bit of TLC :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know many people who would look at a beat up boat and start thinking about botox.

    ReplyDelete