Wednesday, March 25, 2015

2- Allen Avenue

Chapter 2
Here we are at 199 Allen Avenue. We lived on the second floor, just the three of us. My years as a toddler were contained here. I really started making deposits in the memory bank in this two-decker. Dad was a salesman for Fuller Brush, and Mom worked part time as a waitress at a couple of Congress Street restaurants. This put this young whipper-snapper in the able hands of my grandparents serving as babysitters. I can remember having lots of fun turning the furniture upside down and with the help of blankets making little hideouts. We also played 'dress-up', where Nana Josie would dress me up with all sorts of odd ball combinations of clothes and snap pictures. This is the apartment where the classic shot of me covered head to foot in Grampa's over-sized clothes was taken. She called me her little Yankee Traveler, as I was draggin' an old suitcase around the livingroom too. I made my first friend while living here. Next door lived Billy H. We spent countless hours playing together, especially taking turns in his red pedal car. How I loved that contraption! Now, Allen Avenue was a main drag even back then, so Mom took precautions. She put me in some sort of harness mechanism and tied my to a swing set pole. Somewhere there is an actual photo that proves that deal was done. I wouldn't get away from there. Peter, a year older, had free range of the yard. I was tied down to restrict my movement. Like I'd get into any mischief. Right? Two houses down lived Sharon, my first real babysitter. She was in high school, and I fell in love. My first girlfriend? 
Dad bought his first new car while we lived here.
At least that's what he told me.
A black (weren't they all black) Buick.
While in the driveway, I'd sit behind the wheel and pretend to drive all over.
He parked it in that barn at night.
I wanted to investigate that structure.
Never got the chance.
Well, I can't remember ever getting in anyway.
I think I might have remembered that occurrence.

21 comments:

  1. The people on Allen Avenue certainly spent a lot of time nurturing you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place and plenty of memories! Love reading your stories, thanks for sharing!
    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful memories were made here. I had one of those pedal cars and so did my sister. We would ride that car up and down the whole block pushing our little legs as fast as they would go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't every young lad have a crush on their babysitter :) happy memories Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just picture you tied to that pole . . . You cause any trouble now and Elenka might decide to do the same. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a lot of good memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The came bungee cords for toddlers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will have to look for the pic of yourself tied to the pole! I would have loved to have one of those cars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you in a harness tied to the swing set reminds me of the old mike meyers snl skit back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely memories, but you just reminded me that the home where I was born was torn down a few years ago... I was so sad when I saw this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful memories you have! I have been babysitting my youngest grandson since he was six weeks old (he's almost 3 now) during the week while his parents are at work. I hope I am making some good memories like that for him to have when he's grown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful treasure of memories you have. Sounds like you had some fantastic grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your memories are treasures and special times you can return to often. So enjoyed your story. You are a wonderful writer.
    Thank you for stopping by and your comment.
    Happy Spring.
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your memories are treasures and special times you can return to often. So enjoyed your story. You are a wonderful writer.
    Thank you for stopping by and your comment.
    Happy Spring.
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's wonderful that it is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds as if your grandparents had lots of schemes for keeping little ones occupied. Sweet people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so fortunate to be in the same town you grew up in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a memory that goes way, way back!

    ReplyDelete