Monday, March 16, 2015

Stroudwater Cracks

The Stroudwater River is 15.2 miles long from its source at Duck Pond in Buxton to here where it empties into the Fore River in the Stroudwater neighborhood. It's one of my favorite areas coming into the city. For me, it's one of the most picturesque spots around too, attached to a couple of memories that just won't fade away. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever been fishing, but the first time was near the waterfall with my Grampa. Now, I kid you not. While he was flippin' perch on the bank, my only 'catch' of the afternoon was an old mud-filled black, buckled boot. A cliche´ but true. No wonder fishing and me don't get along, still. Near the waterfall, up on the hill, there used to be an old icehouse. On many a winter Saturday night out with the family, Dad's stationwagon would always seem to stop nearby to look at the ice. A couple of times in the evening, we actually saw some fellers on the ice cutting and sliding large pieces towards the icehouse.
These memories are fun to recall.
Yet, always touched with a tinge of sadness.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, you caught a boot! Love your Portland history & information integrated with your photos & writing ...A paper book on the horizon? So many people don't get to revisit their childhoods in this way...
    I had a friend once who used to love to go fishing with no bait or hook. He just loved being out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many memories, some sad and others not. I enjoy learning about what it was like in Portland way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do look forward to your stories every day! Just thought I'd tell you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way your stories tend to job memories for me too. I remember dad parking by the Mississippi River in the winter so we could watch the ice break up. Of course the heater in the car was going full blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good story and a fine view!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to go fishing with my granpa. But no ice around , as you can imagine ...On both sides of the ocean we have sometimes same kinds of memories ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect illustration for your story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, no. No sadness. No point. I could write a book of things I did with my granddad. And that includes snow scenes too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memories always have that double edge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice memory. It looks a bit desolate in the winter, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing how a scene brings back a memory!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  12. You recapture memories that many of us have experienced also. Memories are important parts of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 71 here today with no ice to be seen. Just a week ago we had ice and snow. Those are just memories now....and I'm glad of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. THe only thing more boring than fishing is watching someone else fish.
    I always enjoy your stories. :)

    ReplyDelete