Friday, March 20, 2015

Fire Homage

Well, spring finally touches down here at 6:45 PM EDT this evening. Hey, Vernal Equinox. Where have you been? It's been a long wait, and even though the calendar says you've finally arrived, I'm holding my breath. I've been fooled before. And during the course of the day yesterday I thought I heard that ol' Mother Nature might have a nasty trick up her sleeve for the weekend. Now, I'm not really superstitious, but just to be on the safe side, I won't even utter that dreadful four letter word. This morning I'm paying homage to our trusty Vigilant woodstove that kept us company through another Maine winter. I'm feeding it less and less these days, and that's always a good sign come March. 
However, seeing brown grass across the front lawn is still weeks away.
And I hope to see a robin someday soon.
Melting in the driveway is always a very good sign.
April showers will help.
Winter, let go your mighty grip.
You've proved your point!
 8°F right now... 6:31AM.
I kid you not.

20 comments:

  1. it doesn't feel very spring like here today either...even had the s word yesterday afternoon...nothing stuck though, thank goodness! happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a few weeks ahead of you. Of course we have natural gas fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU mainers definitely deserve spring's arrival! us wimpy texans complained about our delayed spring and all, and i used my wood stove plenty this season, too! but you... you're in a whole 'nother country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have paid your dues and deserve a break. Meanwhile, my air conditioner actually turned itself on this week a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter what the calendar says, I wouldn't expect real spring until the middle of April.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, that is a winter temperature for sure. But, your fire feels warm and toasty. I hope MN hears your plea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I heard a red-winged blackbird this morning so spring is nigh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping the home fires burning must have been quite a task this past season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birdman, don't hold your breath waiting for spring to actually show up. Winter can be tenacious. That wood fire does look inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope sping will arrive soon even over there! Great shot, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tribute to your winter companion, the fire .Hope your spring will arrive soon !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice warm shot. I feel better already. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing like a wood stove to get you through a winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw two robins looking for worms in my backyard esterday. TRUE! Hope you see some soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fiery image Birdman, living in hot climes when I first saw this I thought bushfires, thank goodness it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fiery image Birdman, living in hot climes when I first saw this I thought bushfires, thank goodness it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fiery image Birdman, living in hot climes when I first saw this I thought bushfires, thank goodness it's not.

    ReplyDelete