Tuesday, March 3, 2015

River Traffic

It's another frigid morning.
We're looking up the Fore River here with early morning traffic heading over the Fore River Causeway. The river is an estuary that snakes its way inland dividing Portland and South Portland. The Fore River Parkway runs along on the right connecting Libbytown and Commercial Street. The river is spanned by four bridges: The Casco Bay Bridge which connects the two cities, the Veterans Memorial Bridge which carries vehicles along Route 1 and the Fore River Causeway which takes I-295 traffic over the water. There is also a Pan Am Railways Bridge that AmTrak and other rail traffic uses. A walking trail of about a mile, a section of Portland Trails, can be found running along the river's edge on the right. As you might imagine, there are quite a few port-related facilities on both sides along its 5 mile + course.
There.
If there's anything more you need to know about it, give me a call when you get here. 
Hopefully, the ice will be gone by then.

19 comments:

  1. I think I may have crossed that bridge back in the 90's on a weekend trip to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise to give you a call if I need more facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a difficult time commenting this morning. I think the view of the receding ice has numbed my fingers on the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of that ice would go nicely in the shandy I had today Birdman :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it looks so nice with the ice! I like the bridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here , (in South )our rivers are small and (almost )always dry , and when they reach cities , they get covered to get more space .. So , even icy , I'd like to see your river and your bridges ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! i'm guessing if i start driving now, you'll still have mountains of snow for me to play on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least the river is still flowing and not completely frozen. Hang on, spring will show up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks pretty but cold!!! very, very cold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got us all shivering our timbers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was 75 degrees and sunny here today, so I am having a little trouble relating to this cold you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks pretty cold for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Different from what we think of as river traffic, huge barge flotillas on the Mississippi. We had ice in the river in December and early January but surprisingly none in weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I won't be calling for several more months...at the earliest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe in spring, or early summer...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This might be somewhere near where the transmission on my 1983 Buick LeSabre blew out. It was never the same. R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete