Sunday, March 8, 2015

Night Out

We like to sample Restaurant Week. In past years, we have visited Walter's, 555 and Ribollita's and had fine dining experiences. We enjoy visiting restaurants that have gotten great reviews, but for some reason we have passed them by. Last night our choice was The Back Bay Grille and again we weren't disappointed. Elenka went with a main course of short ribs, and I decided on pork. Both were delicious! We cleaned our plates too. It been a thing of mine from way back. Taught to me with that simple expression: 'kids in China are going to bed hungry'. Whenever I was dawdling over a meal, you know just pushing the peas around, my grandmother would utter that expression, and I'd clean that plate. Disappointment was something I wanted no part of back then. I try to steer clear of it always. To this day, unless I'm feeling under the weather, I get the job done.
The plate is clean. 
Back then, I didn't want to disappoint that amazing lady.
Today, don't want to dishearten myself.
... or maybe the cook.
Strange, what becomes a part of us from Youth.
What's on your plate?

22 comments:

  1. Cleaning your plate was a BIG thing at my house when I was a kid too. It never seemed fair to me as O wasn't the one who heaped the food onto my plate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always had to clean my plate. Wasn't an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up hearing that exact same phrase. Sometimes it was hard to do especially if there were overcooked carrots on my place. I had a hard time with those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't beat fine dining. Once a foodie......

    ReplyDelete
  5. One friend of mine asked, "Yeah. But how's eating my crummy peas going to help THEM?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like what was on yours

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew there would be ribs!
    Chicken stir-fry for us tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a bit unfair. I can't read that menu. So I'll just have red wine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saturday night, a good meal out with your girl and a glass of hearty red wine - now that's livin'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Restaurant week here is in the Fall and we enjoy checking out familiar places and new places during the event. Some are winners, and others are, not winners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all -- lovely photo, very romantic. You know the old joke about California cuisine, how it's one thinly sliced piece of duck breast, twisted over one asparagus tip and a sprig of parsley? That's my kind of meal. Too much food on the plate, too many choices, and it just looks like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tonight, omelette on a panini roll with potato salad on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing like a nice glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My problem is not cleaning my plate as I do a good job of that, my issue is how much I put on my plate that needs to be removed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, a good dinner with fine wine. . .what could be better??

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a big fan of restaurant week, but that seems to be a New England thing. I haven't heard about restaurant weeks in Florida. Here, the thing is coupons in the papers for discounts midweek before 6 o'clock. And, I must have been trained to eat everything on my plate because I never left a morsel until five or six years ago. Then I noticed that I was eating just to clean the plate, even after I was no longer hungry. Now I eat what I want and then stop. It is probably better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful capture!!

    Count your peas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gee, in New York they told us it was kids in Europe. You know, post-war reconstruction. That much of a different spin a few hundred miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want some solitude and alone time and then, a restaurant night! Great photos, this one and the one with snow.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  20. It all depends what's on the plate as to whether or not it's clean when I'm fini Birdman, sounds like what was on your and Elenka's plate was too delish to leave :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you had a nice evening.
    I guess I often choose fish when I go out for a meal.
    (I love Italian food too)

    ReplyDelete