Friday, September 11, 2015

Cog

After our trip up the Mt. Washington Cog Railway on Tuesday and my photograph at the top of the engine and passenger car, I thought you'd like  a closeup of what the cog really looks like. The dictionary says a cog is: one of a series of teeth, as on the rim of a wheel or gear, whose engagement transmits successive motive force to a corresponding wheel or gear. In this photo you are looking at one of the switchback tracks that's used when two engines are passing. We were heading up at this point. An engine and car coming down from the top would pull over and let us pass, and then the track would be moved back to the left. You can clearly see the teeth in this picture, and in the distance a water tank for the one steam engine that makes the trip once a day. On this narrow gauge track the engine and car just 'zips' along up the mountain. Of course, we're all cogs in the big picture of the world at one time or another. When we function as: a member of an organization who performs necessary but usually minor or routine functions, we're cogs. 
You see.
The railway of life just keeps chuggin' along.
Clickety clack, clickety clack...

14 comments:

  1. Pretty clever workmanship I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of a cog railway until we visited Colorado Springs but they work pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of these until your post of yesterday! Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trip up the mountain looks like it would be fun. I bet there's a great view from the top. And the train would make it so much more of an adventure, and I'm always ready for an adventure. I love finding out about how things work so thanks for the closeup pic and the cog info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the water tank is cool. cheaper than other fuel...maybe (unless you're in cali). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great explanation of the cog! Great example of the cog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a lot of catching up to do! Scrolling through, I really dig your eye and words, Mark. Man, are you missed over at the ole coggin' grounds. That sounds like a nice trip, and this was a great place to snap one for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trains, tracks, and all things railroad fascinate me, so thanks for the lesson and the great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photo to show how the mechanism works. Sometimes I feel like a cog in a wheel whereas other times I feel pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. replica bags wholesale mumbai click here to find out more t2s12h7u73 replica radley bags replica bags near me hermes replica m1v82h8f49 replica bags hermes why not try here c3d15v6h92 high quality replica bags replica bags in delhi z3j32n7v70

    ReplyDelete