Thursday, September 3, 2015

Beach Bums

Summer wanes... almost.
I've experienced quite a few Septembers in my days, and I can tell you when you get days in the 80's around here, enjoy them to the fullest. They will be fleeting soon. We're on another warm stretch that going to take us through the weekend and beyond. When this happens in this month in this state, just three words come to mind. Hit the Beach! Yesterday, it was warm out  (87, sticky) on our country road and in town, so we did just that. We grabbed some ice coffees, lunch in a cooler, a couple of magazines, our chairs and headed for the warm sand.
As you can see, we weren't the only ones seeking out the rays.
That's Peaks Island in the distance. (YES, there is an island out there... it might be hard to see though). About 900 year round residents call it home out there in Casco Bay, that number swells to about 10,000 in summers like we've just experienced.
Beach time in September?
It's doable now.
Pass the suntan lotion, please.

21 comments:

  1. Maybe you've been already in the sun too long. In Florida we have a major problem with skin cancers...I had one myself some years back. So even in Maine you may want to use some SPF 50. And why were you writing about bears - the Bruins? Huh?
    Really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah its not going to be long before it's beach time here again, super end of summer image Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting a little beach time myself today. I'm over in Newport for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah jeez, I thought you were talking horse hockey! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

    BTW, I saw that Portland, Maine was about #27 in the "Most Liked Cities in the World," a poll by AOL. Be proud! Go Brewers, er, Browns, er, Bratwursts, er, something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think I can see that island now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a normal season, here, beach time goes from mid-April to mid-October...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beach days just keep coming - it is supposed to be really hot here for another week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I thought someone had taken a picture of you and was about to say you're getting younger every day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've just never been a sun-bather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Give me minus twenty and blowing snow!

    Mind you, I don't mind the view here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a lovely day at the beach. Yes, these last warm days need to be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see the island just fine thank you very much! I agree with Lowell about the sunscreen. Thanks to growing up near the ocean and slathering myself with only baby oil while sunbathing in my youth, my dermatologist and I are quite good friends now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought you had something else in mind with the title Beach Bum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a perfect day, though 80 starts pushing my comfort zone (and since the dermatologist is probably sending all his kids to college from the bits carved from my sun-damaged skin, I tend to avoid the swimsuit sprawl).

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is an island out there? Oh yeah, there is also a nice looking girl in a bikini.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not one to sit on a beach so 87°F is not comfortable for me. I would much prefer to be in my garden or out taking photos. Well, at least you remembered to take your camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The waning days of summer are to be savored!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Days in the 80s? I'm panting and pining for them to return - not go away!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Days in the 80s? I'm panting and pining for them to return - not go away!

    ReplyDelete