Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Split

We learn new things everyday.
I did today.
However, somethings remain mysteries.
This is the old H.H. Hay Drug store at Congress Square. The Square spits here. To the left is Congress Street the city's so called main thoroughfare. The construction of the Maine Mall in South Portland in 1971 pretty much 'stuck a dagger to the heart' of this once bustling street of department stores, movie theaters and restaurants. It's been on the rebound over the last 20 years or so, but it still struggles for its new identity. To the right is Free Street. Travel down this avenue and you'll find Portland's oldest bar, the Cross Insurance Area home to the Portland Pirates and various concerts, and lots of little shops. Here's what I learned today. Long ago Mom always remarked to me that she worked at H.H. Hay Drug, and I thought it was in this classic flat iron building. What I found out was that there was another Hay's Drug, also in a flat iron building, at the corner of Congress and Middle streets called H. H. Hay Apothecary. This one was identified as 'lower', and the one at the Square was the 'upper'. I never knew this. I do now. And I'm going to check out this second building to see if it is still standing. Details to follow.
So, Mom worked at Hay Drug, but which one?
I always thought I knew.
Not so fast, Bird!
A mystery lingers.

16 comments:

  1. OH a mystery--how exciting. Let us know.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. two flat irons! can't wait to see the other (if it's still there.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many flat iron buildings in Portland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have any flat iron buildings in the Phoenix area but, I do so enjoy seeing them in other cities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be exciting indeed, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flat iron buildings seem to be a rarity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An amazing building and another interesting story...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You threw me there for a moment, Birdman, when you said the "Square spits here." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well now you have to find out and then tell us. No flat iron buildings here either, that I know of anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang! I have a number of these "I should have asked Mom" questions that I never thought of while she was alive. Where was the curiosity when it would have been so easy to get an answer?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another mystery you've decided to unravel as you totter into your doddering age. But. hey, we've gotta have somethihg to do! Why don't you run for president. You're almost old enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You need to get to the bottom of this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps it is good that your Mom still has a bit of mystery about her. Love the look of flatiron buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the old buildings of downtowns. So Glad Greensboro's is now thriving. It can happen.

    Happy Friday,

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know Birdman, personally I think this must have looked better as a lovely wide avenue, that building just seems to be in the wrong place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know Birdman, personally I think this must have looked better as a lovely wide avenue, that building just seems to be in the wrong place!

    ReplyDelete