Monday, September 7, 2015

Some Junk

Got junk?
I do.
You?
No?
Don't feel sad.
I've got plenty to share.
What do you need?
I've got a bowl in the den, that I keep wallet and car keys in. They are at the ready. If I need them, I know right where to go. Trouble is there's a lot of other crap 'trapped' inside that 5 inch deep bowl that just refuses to part company with me. Truth be told, this stuff even is not from THAT bowl. This is from a dish on our hutch cabinet that Elenka set aside for basically my spare change. Pretty sad, huh? Like a good plague, it just has spread like a wildfire. THAT bowl, you know that other container, now, when my wallet and keys have been deposited is overflowing. Ya, I'm sort of a pack rat. But where do I put this stuff. Every few months or so, I sit down really determined to do 'some damage' and throw out stuff, but I always seem to find important reasons to reclaim a lot of it. Look here. Keys that don't work, bracelets, a college ring, a couple of watches, my Dad's WW2 dog tags, his rosary, a few thumb drives, a couple of rocks, two Santa pins, more assorted pins that I have accumulated over the years...
What's it all about?
Am I in trouble?
Did I tell you about the draw in the living room?
Hey, is there a group meeting of 'junk anonymous' nearby?
A sad commentary on my times?
"Hi, I'm Birdman, and I'm a junk-aholic."

23 comments:

  1. I also have a bowl by the front door for my keys. And some sunglasses. And some bobby pins. And then there's the three tiered cupcake stand that actually houses roughly a million lipsticks. And USB'. And spare memory cards.. And don't forget the bowl on the side table with the various business cards and tape measures and random coins... If you find some kinda 'junk addicts anonymous' group I might need to attend it as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We keep lots of things we don't need, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, it tends to be stashed into mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got plenty of junk of my own. But thanks for the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A psych prof once quoted Rodgers to the effect that what we think is most personal is also universal. Heck, you're a piker! I've got boxes full of junk like that! The problem is you can't get rid of it, 'cause as soon as you do, you'll need it. Desperately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASE pass the word to Elenka. A perfect answer.

      Delete
  6. You're absolutely not alone in this Birdman :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're absolutely not alone in this Birdman :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have little bowls with stuff like this - one has my keys, some buttons, etc.
    It is going to be really hot here today too! Enjoy it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I confess to being guilty of junkamania too, but I keep my addiction hidden behind closed doors and closed drawers. You's never know when you come in the front door.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, I fear I have a similar addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My I start calling my stuff "precious", like Gollum in The Hobbit, that's when it gets tossed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. After living in the same house for over 35 years, I have plenty of my own junk, but thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. we have 2 drawers. well, and maybe a couple more...

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lot of junk, boxes of it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, you're a junkie! I have the opposite problem. I toss and then a few months later I find a use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, you're a junkie! I have the opposite problem. I toss and then a few months later I find a use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a dumpster in the driveway right now, finally getting rid of junk accumulated here over 35 years. Want me to send the dumpster your way?

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you can walk through your house there is no great danger. The Book Junkie button is certainly worth keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of that "junk" indicates a interesting household!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just don't try to move from your present home. Nothing like a move to have to weed out old stuff. You could read the hot bestseller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. I don't think you'd much care for it, but I found it a little absurd but very entertaining, and effective in terms of changing how I deal with my Stuff.

    ReplyDelete