Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Dory Life

Just off Dock Square in the heart of Kennebunkport, there's a small restaurant called Three Dories. I've never taken a seat at a table there and probably never will. At first sight, I thought, now this is what a retirement lifestyle is all about. Just drifting. Doing little. No commitments. Just hangin'. On further reflection, the truth came. Today, this is the epitome of the opposite. Retirees are not bobbing in place waiting for the end. They are out and about, constantly on the move. Doing all sorts of maneuvers, reaching places they've never been, meeting new faces, accepting new challenges head on. In lots of ways, they're 'working' harder than they ever have.
Working at trying to have lots of fun that is.
Off to some water today.
Details coming soon.
Hint: I won't be bobbing about.

17 comments:

  1. I like a balance between busyness and bobbing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo. I can assure you I'm not bobbing about either. I'm even still working but only part time.
    To answer your questions:
    1. Think of "Bank" without a "B".
    2. Different Garfield entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are all enjoying life! Ahhh and I guess they could have a blog!
    Lovely picture, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being retired is like being self-employed - you think you do what you want but there is actually a lot of work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ain't that the truth. Retirement is go, go, go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are enjoying yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, no! Say it ain't so, Birdman! And here I was looking forward to one day tying my dory down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the time to pursue interests, not sit in a chair and watch the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a really busy day today. It just took me until three o'clock to figure out what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A retired friend told me he is far busier now than when he was working. Enjoy, Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's true, when one has one's health. But like Kate, I must remember to make time for bobbing. Bobbing is good for the health!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know Birdman, bobbing about sounds very appealing to me right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete