Friday, September 25, 2015

Prancing Gargoyles

She's to blame!
It's all Gloria's fault.
I've talked about my Aunt Gloria before. It's all her fault. She sent me my first camera from a PX on an airbase in Germany. It got into my little grubby hands in July of my 11th year and I have been photographing ever since. The first photos that I had Mom run and develop at the Rexall Drug at the corner were taken on the Nelson's porch of a bunch of best friend hanging out. Let's see, I captured Billy, Linda, Eddie, Leo, Skipper, Judy, Judd and a few others as I remember. 
Say Cheese!
And another thing, she also turned me on to gargoyles. During my eighth grade year at Lincoln Junior, she sent me a pair of gargoyle bookends, again another birthday present. I spent nights in bed rolling the ceramic bookends around in my hands. I never suffered any nightmares from this gift. I probably should have. I think I even remember doing a writing assignment on them for Ms Storer in 8th Grade.
My love of cameras came from her.
My love of gargoyles came from her.
Thank you Gigi!

16 comments:

  1. Didn't know gargoyles could prance. Now I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a most interesting creature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that is your gargoyle collection in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one who likes gargoyles and grotesques around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, gargoyles are awesome, not scary, and very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, gargoyles are awesome, not scary, and very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny the things that happen in childhood that will influence our whole lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to recognize your sources of inspiration. I didn't have anyone to start me in photography. It was the introduction of the first consumer models in 1999 that got me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like gargoyles! And photography. My first picture I took with my first camera is enshrined here: http://webcroft.blogspot.com/2006/12/photo-from-5-decades-ago.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's one heck of a cool aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gargoyles, yes. Clowns, no.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you to have camera mentors at such an early age.

    ReplyDelete