Saturday, September 5, 2015

Ferry Line

This is the recently renovated Casco Bay Lines ferry terminal on the western side of the Maine State Pier. Over a million passengers now travel on the ferries each year, and an additional 50,000 people use services provided at the terminal, sightsee, fish, attend concerts or other activities in the immediate area. When the boats leave or dock, dropping off passengers, it can get pretty hectic and crowded in the heat of summer. As you might imagine, its winter schedule is a lot less demanding and frantic. I'm not an employee of this 'city by the sea' or  of Casco Bay Lines, but if you ever venture to these parts, I highly recommend taking one of their scheduled trips around the bay. Even for someone who has lived here practically his entire life, I can testify that their cruises are fun and entertaining. Other then many trips back and forth to Peaks Island, I've taken the sunset cruise (about 2 hours), and the long Bailey Island cruise (almost 6 hours). The Bay Mist is their nighttime party boat, and you might be surprised by this, but I have never taken that cruise.
Yes, it's true, party boy...
No party cruise.
I might have to remedy this soon.

13 comments:

  1. i'd love to take one of those tours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very nice. I'm quite impressed by what I've seen and read re Portland. Well, except for the winter weather. My advice: Party on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks busy. I should take a river cruise here before the season ends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sunset cruise sounds tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty special experience, riding those ferries. Pretty special city to have those islands...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surely it won't be long before a remedy is found. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sold me. If I get back it's a done deal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ready to pack my bags and book my cruises.
    I can attest to the pleasure of ferries. The Washington State Ferries are our biggest attraction for tourists. It's the largest ferry system in the U.S. and the biggest vehicle ferry system on Earth. But we pretty much have to bring our own parties on board.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having lived all my life in either Arizona or Texas I chuckle when you talk about the "heat of summer"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having lived all my life in either Arizona or Texas I chuckle when you talk about the "heat of summer"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A million people travel on the ferries? Wow, I am impressed. I had no idea that the ferries are so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You better get on that party boat soon 'cuz summer looks like it might just be fleeting.

    ReplyDelete