Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Early Snow2

I think this is Oakdale Street. As you can see, it has been flurried upon. Delivering papers on mornings like this was a blast. You had the continuous feeling of just slip sliding away. It was early, and my footprints were the only ones in town it seemed. On days like this, my bike still served me well. It always seemed to go a bit faster and had the tint of danger, as I braked and skidded about at every corner. That added to my early morning 'adventure'. When the snow got deeper in January, an old banana basket rescued from the local A&P and attached by wires to a small sled, provided just the device to give my shoulders a break and allow me to 'run' my paper route quite quickly. Now remember, for me, getting my route done as fast as possible was paramount.
Once, I delivered all my 75 Press Heralds in about 22 minutes.
I think that record still stands.  

10 comments:

  1. We could see the first snow on Friday morning, but I hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband delivered papers too as a kid...sad that job doesn't exist anymore for kids...we might get some snow next week! haven't heard if it's supposed to accumulate...our first snow, last week didn't do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got to have all that fun, and they paid you too? Bikes are great in new snow, but a pain on crusty, old snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bike of yours must have been flying down the street!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gone are the days of the paperboy! The deliveries all seem to be adults in cars now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you also have to collect money, too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're expecting more tonight. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a nice scene with no footprints or tire tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the story. We didn't have paper boys in Queens. But we're supposed to get 2 - 4" here Thursday night and that's really early for here. Of course, it was 65 today. Life in the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One question.....why is there a Stop sign on the left side of the street when there isn't an intersection except up a ways. Is it that it is turned the wrong way?

    ReplyDelete