Thursday, December 26, 2013

Iced

We've had a little ice-in.
Parts of the state spent Christmas frozen in without power, but we were spared that hardship. The ice came here about two days ago and has stuck around. When you get temperatures, with highs for the day in the teens, that's bound to happen. 
I survived my trip to fill the bird feeders yesterday morning, although I did get temporarily impaled by a sprig of a pine needle in my hair.
Otherwise, it was a day of family and friends. Lots of laughter, toasts, memories of Christmases past, and a delicious holiday repast. The 'crowd' seems to increase a bit each year. I say the more the merrier. Elenka, with her task of feeding the masses, is not so sure. 
J- gave me a beautiful, gold tie with squirrels artistically rendered in its design.
He knows me.
It's an inside joke.
I HATE squirrels! They actually think I trudge through the deep snow, in frigid temps, just to appease them. 
It's Christmas.
I can tolerate them for a few hours, I guess.
They are very lucky.
If I had a .22, I'd send them on vacation to 'kingdom come'.
I shouldn't say that.
Bad Birdman!
After all, it's Christmas.

11 comments:

  1. awww. poor tree varmints. :)

    glad you and yours are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about the storms up that way and wondered if you lost power. Glad to hear you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! You remind me of a friend of mine who actually did take potshots at a groundhog in his backyard occasionally. If the neighbors had reported him, he surely would have been arrested for discharging a firearm in town. I'm just guessing his neighbors all shared similar sentiments toward groundhogs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good Christmas with friends and family. We did too. Thank you for the laugh about squirrels. They are crafty critters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photo. Yes, up here, lots of power loss, almost my whole town, my neighborhood excepted. Only yesterday did I start looking at its beauty. A book for you: "Outwitting Squirrels: 101 Cunning Strategies to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed From Your Birdfeeder By Squirrels." But I'll warn you: his conclusion is: You can't beat them, so you might as well love them...But the book is informative & funny...Continued Merriment to you & Elenka!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you kept your power but we know you had lots of wood ready if needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ice storms are terrible! Sounds like you were fortunate, however. Glad that you had a good Christmas. I got some golf balls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wear the tie to work. It might wake up your, um, associates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were lucky to have both power and a beautiful icy scene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should read THOSE DARN SQUIRRELS. I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete