Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Woodshed

Don't the wrong idea. I didn't split all of this by hand. A wood splitter did most of the damage. The ax helped with all the kindling though. Call me crazy, but I like to do some splitting of wood in November. I used to get my wood in tree lengths right off the logging truck. Starting in the summer heat, I'd cut,  split, and stack it all, but those days are long gone. We do like that ol' wood stove chugging away during winter storms and cold January days though. This is our woodshed. For three seasons, it's an opened-faced lean-to that gets a lot sun, birds, garter snakes, mice, hornets and a skunk once. It's quite a menagerie. When late fall hits, all but the mice have left to warmer spots. When all the wood is stacked, I have a large brown tarp that I attach to the front, protecting all within from the nasty elements of a Maine winter. I completed that task this past weekend.
Maine winter...
Bring it on!

14 comments:

  1. Birdman, I'm disappointed. Unless I miss my guess, that's one of those fancy-dancy plastic ax handles instead of the old tried-and-true ash handles. Eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got a couple of broken oak ones. This one was the cheapest of the new. hahahaha Good observation though.

      Delete
  2. It is amazing to me how fast a wood pile disappears after the weather turns cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the smell of newly stacked wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Logs in tree lengths?! That sounds like it could be a lot of work for you.
    Do they really make axes with plastic handles now?
    I love your description of the woodpile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are well-prepared. i need a few BIG pieces split. and i need to take the truck to the back field and bring up another load to pile in the shed. this cold spell is making me 'burn through' my supply much more quickly. i've burned more wood already this month than i did all last winter - maybe two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are ready to cozy up by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good feeling to be ready for that old Maine winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cutting and splitting wood can be great fun working with a group of people. I've done this with friends in past years. I'm always surprised how quickly a fireplace can go through a wood pile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to have if the power goes out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Call you crazy? OK. You're crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's alot of wood. Nice shot with the axe.

    ReplyDelete