Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Elmwood

Here's an old grange hall, that I pass on my way into the city. Paul and I often took in the Presumpscott Grange Hall dances on Saturday nights, arriving there in his Dad's mighty Buick Wildcat. The hall is still standing on Route 302 and for sale, if you want to make an investment loaded with memories. For music, there were a bunch of local bands, like the Royal Knights, Gary and the Counts, Dickie and the Ebb Tides, the Grand Prix, the Mustangs and others that made the weekend circuit of clubs and halls, like Presumpscott, Frye Hall and the Expo to name a few. Often there were "Battle of the Bands", where two or three of the groups would get together and battle it out for the night. The dances were great fun, loaded with 60's hits and the girls weren't that bad either. Rock on!

18 comments:

  1. I had a Buick Wildcat in college. It was the longest car I have ever driven.
    P.S. The verification word for this post was fatend. I could have done without that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. elle est tres belle cette salle, tout en bois, j'aime beaucoup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't thought about these kinds of places for years. As a kid, I accompanied my parents to many dances, their main form of entertainment. I suppose, tho, that their musical genre was vastly different from the ones you attended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Elmwood was a special place for you at one time... I remember those 'dance halls' where the local bands played... Lots of fun!!!!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, don't you want to buy it and renovate it,mm?

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a place packed full of sounds and memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh the nostalgic feeling...I like so much when you share stories like this one!Thanks!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved all the local bands that we had here too - would follow them from school gyms to clubs all over Toronto. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. I hadn't seen a Grange hall in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen a grange building in years. This one looks well-preserved. As are your memories. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rock on, Bro!



    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  12. You could transport this building and it would fit right into my small town.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This building looks awfully small for a live band and a crowd of sweaty and horny teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What ever happend to Dickie and the Ebb Tides? Or the Buick for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had the same thought as Jack... that's a pretty small dance hall! Must have been reaaaal cozy rocking in there! Curious to see what happens next to this building.

    ReplyDelete