Friday, November 4, 2011

Junk

Man, is this a red door to nowhere or what? I just noticed this. That first step is a killer! This is the backside to an 'antique facility' in Bayside. I call it a junk shop! There was one of these places on Arbor Street in the old neighborhood. We guys always got a kick out of going in and walking the aisles, while picking around and admiring all the remnants of others' lives. The visitors, the stuff the smells: it was the total package. Our fun was short-lived however, because soon that building and a bunch of others were knocked down by the wrecking ball to make room for the new A&P Supermarket. For us at the Corner and for others around the city, it seemed to mark the end of the mom and pop neighborhood stores, the end of an era. RIP.

17 comments:

  1. love the way you've been exploring the back-sides of things, birdman. and where is the a&p now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good junk shop! I also love the flakiness of the brick wall in this shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first step out that red door would be a dangerous one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see this frequently in old buildings, a doorway to the sky almost. I'm betting there once was a balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ho! That's a great find, that floating red door!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great shot! yup, watch that first step!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As my dad would say....watch that first step!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I'm not sure that all 'progress' is a good thing Birdman, would be nice if certain things could remain the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would guess this is the door for unwelcome visitors... When they ask where the restroom is...
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a good thing that this is not the back door of a bar. Can you imagine the patron's shock when sneaking out the back for a cig?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting place.....
    I'm gonna try your apple cider margarita recipe...sounds delicious. esp since marg. is my drink of choice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very funny. You'd take that first step and would literally be blowin' in the wind! Heh, heh.

    I saw one of these, also. I think it was in Colorado. A building that had been renovated and someone had missed that silly door!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi There, I hate it when they get rid of the 'Mom and Pop' stores and put in those big retail stores. It happens everywhere... Dang it!!!!!!

    Bet it would have been fun 'rooting around' in that old shop...
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing photo. Color and composition feast. Red door is very inviting))

    ReplyDelete