Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Frosty Haystack

Back in another life, I used to watch a lot of Saturday afternoon wrestling programing. As a 12 year old, I was excited when Haystack Calhoun was in the ring. He tipped the scales at 601 pounds and stood about 6' 5'' in his white t-shirt, blue overalls and horseshoe necklace. Everyone who watched him 'work' waited for his patterned "Big Splash" finish, where he would jump off the top rope of the ring and land on his helpless opponent. Yikes! I was always amazed that he could get up there to begin with. Legend had it that on his family farm, he actually worked cows by picking them up and moving them. One of the highlights of the Saturday shows was when he and some palooka took on the the feared duo of Mr. Fuji and Professor Toro Tanaka in tag team matches. Now that was ENTERTAINMENT!

17 comments:

  1. how does the weight of this 'haystack' compare?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite of the whole bunch was the white guy posing as an genuine Indian with his "Don Eagle" Mohawk haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way back when, my favorite wrestler was Killer Kowalski. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly had some fascinating interests as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One summer, when in my teens, I worked the back end of a hay baler in central California. God, that was awful work. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't had any frosts yet here this year ---but a huge cold front is coming through today ---so we may get one soon!!!!

    I've never watched wrestling ---nor has anyone in my family, I don't think... SO--I'll admit that I've never heard of Haystack Calhoun.... ha
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the names Haystack Calhoun and Killer Kowalski, but I sure didn't spend much time watching them. Being a cultured dude, this haystack instead reminds me of Monet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! My grandmother used to watch...."little people" wrestling. Classic entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a wrestler by the name of Giant Haystacks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Randy's comment. And I like that slope in the background - or did you tilt the camera? Interesting!

    Also - great story! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember watching wrestling. Even as I kid I knew it was fake, but couldn't resist watching anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love haystacks, tractors and frost so you've just made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos on your blogspace of nature in many different moods, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete