Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Toy World

Forget Legos! Forget K'nex! My world was always about Lincoln Logs. Invented by the son of Frank Lloyd Wright, (John L. Wright), these notched-wood, interlocking beam log sets entertained my brother and me for hours at a time across the living room floor. We built elaborate forts for our little green soldiers and camp sites for our Roy Rogers' stage coaches. Although there were designs where you could build Uncle Tom's Cabin and Abraham Lincoln's log cabin, the 'Lincoln' was named after FLW's father and based on the design of the architect's Tokyo's Imperial Hotel. Did you know that? I didn't. Laugh all you want at these little red suckers, but they got the inventor into the National Toy Hall of Fame and me out of my mother's hair for hours upon hours. That was my 'lego world', and I also must admit that I LOVED the smell of the logs in the box. Kinda strange, I know.

18 comments:

  1. Well no, I didn't know any of that history.

    I don't remember the smell of Lincoln Logs but I did build stuff with my brothers' set. Warm wood is so much nicer to the touch than plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i learned so much from you today. and i love this image. thanks, bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on this one...I LOVED Lincoln Logs! I still do, but my kids prefer Legos. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember Lincoln Logs. Wow, that takes us back a way. Love your brightly colored image and the geometry of the shapes and lines. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Lincoln logs. I even remember how they sounded when you put them back into their container.

    I bought my son Lincoln logs when he was little. I was a kid again also building all sorts of stuff and improvising.

    I sure didn't know the backstory about the inventor. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. je ne connaissais pas du tout, cela devait etre amusant

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned something new! I didn't know the connection between Lincoln logs and FLW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post. I didn't know about Lincoln logs. I played with Legos for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the Lincoln Logs. I can still see the round cardboard container they came in . I was pitiful at building anything fancier than a one room cabin with a door though.

    Love this graphic image Bird. Cool shot.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  10. we had a set in our house too. didn't know the history/inventor behind them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the backstory, birdman. I always envied my brothers' (3 of them) LIncoln logs . ..but they sometimes let me 'in' to help. I, too, remember the smell and feel of the logs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your pic but don't remember these logs - must have been a guy thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guess what??? We saw Lincoln Logs in Sam's Club this past week... I was shocked ---but seeing them brought back so many great memories... I'm glad some of the 'good-ole-stuff' is coming back!!!!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'm going to unleash that bit of trivia at the next cocktail party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No, I can totally understand the smell thing. The metal erector set that my brother and I had didn't smell at all. Never knew about the Wright connection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i dont know what lincoln logs are, but i played many hours with lego. i loved that...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the post . . . played with my brother's set. Can't wait to tell his the FLW connection. Your image today is very Hopperesque . . . must be that low angle light.

    ReplyDelete