Sunday, November 20, 2011

Floating Gold

What goes around comes around, as they say. Life was always a struggle, it seems, for my high school football team. When I started following the 'purple and gold' in elementary school, it was always a losing proposition. Breaking even at 4-4 was considered a pretty good fall expedition. Heck, in high school the team was disbanded for lack of funds... and wins. If you were a follower of pigskin exploits during autumn, it was the height of discouragement. And we're are not even going to speak of the out and out embarrassment among my friends, who attended its arch rival down the road. I must say, it was a fine feeling, when off at college, I read that the gold helmets would again be venturing forth on the gridiron Saturdays in the fall. These days, things sure have changed. Two consecutive unblemished seasons, two consecutive Class A State Football Championships for the Stags. Livin' the highlife!... and waitin' for the floor to drop out!

15 comments:

  1. I found a pond yesterday with floating leaves but they were no match for these. I guess I just made a poem about your nice photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Gorgeous! There is no such yellow here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous gold. Sometimes it takes a generation before a football program can turn around. Now, you and your friends can say, 'Back in my day...' Hope everyone is enjoying the highlife!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photo is just stunning! I said "Wow" the minute your blog opened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome shot -- thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photo.

    I'm a Univ of New Mexico alum. That's why I don't follow college football.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure about the football stuff Birdman, but definitely sure that the image is a stunner!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I know what you mean... my HS team from Auburn WA was never a winning proposition either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You probably wouldn't like Webster Univ. I doubt very much they have a football team. But, you could always root for the Univ. of Florida Gators!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great intense color in these leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vivid and beautiful leaves. Football? Your story just proves, like the leaves, that seasons change. Nothing remains static.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, you're getting into autumn free associations. We both went to Jesuit high schools. My class' football memory is that we were the first to lose four Thanksgiving football games in a row to arch-rival Xavier, a military day school (nickname - The Subway Commandos; most famous alum - Antonin Scalia) down on 14th Street.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You captured these with just the right light. They are golden and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete