Friday, July 19, 2013

Heat Wave

My friendly TV meteorologist tells me that the definition of a heat wave consists of three consecutive days when the red-line mercury tops the 90 degree mark on my Fahrenheit scale. Well, I for one ain't buying what he's selling! It's been in the 90s or close to it every day this week so far, and so I'm declaring it our Summer of '13 Heat Wave. Cripes, I just heard on the TV last night that Hot Atlanta just crossed the 90 degree mark yesterday for the first time all summer. That's Atlanta, Georgia, folks. What's this all about? Why is this happening? Is global warming actually inching it's way to my town? Today is supposed to be the hottest day of our summer with temperatures touching 94. Hazy, Hot and Humid all week. This IS a heat wave! Around these parts we usually get one a summer. The natives rush to their nearest big box store and get the largest air conditioner on the planet. When that 'rush' hits the local stores, you can pretty much count on the thermometers staying firmly entrenched in the 70's for the foreseeable future.
Now, don't get me wrong. I really like the heat. I'm not complaining.
Remember, I'm the guy that heads to the heat of the Caribbean seas in summer.
I say get out there and water those plants, put a pitcher of fresh, lemon-drenched iced tea in the fridge and grab that favorite book.
And if that doesn't cool you off and you live near me, think about that late January blizzard that'll drop about 9 inches on my doorstep.
Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

20 comments:

  1. Or pour the pitcher of iced tea onto your plants and water yourself. I've discovered that plants rather like tea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful summer photo that takes the edge off the discomfort of the heat you guys are experiencing. Yes, the memory of those winter days increases the appreciation of summer days,even if the temperature is uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I do enjoy moments of AC, I am right with you on enjoying the heat of summer. Heat is much better than being too cold. When it's hot, it's time to go swimming, have cool drinks, and sit in the shade. I won't forget to water the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is hot there. And yes, I would guess this is related to climate change. We just gone through what I believe was the hottest year even in North America and also the hottest decade ever.

    Re your comment on Ocala: You are absolutely right. Bad things happen after midnight!

    Stay as cool as you are and you'll be OK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of ice and pray that the electricity doesn't go off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like there are just too many extremes in the weather lately. Don't get me started on 'heat'. Stay cool Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we're gonna be back in the 100s soon here. but at least we've got our a/c...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a balmy 83 here in Florida. Go figure! My advice... enjoy your little heat wave next week it's back to 70's!

    Lakeland Checks In at 83

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meteorologists rank well lower than astrologers in my esteem and I would never debase myself befriending one of them, but your friend may be the exception to the rule...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heat wave! No kidding. It is 96 degrees outside. This is the FOURTH heat wave this summer and it is only mid-July. Fortunately the British Open has been on TV all morning and afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weatherman tells me the same thing here and we've had the same temps here for a week. And I hate it. 90° in my apartment, I hate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today is the fifth-straight day of heat wave here north of Toronto with temperatures at around 93° every day and feeling much warmer. I'm hoping for a break in the weather tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm complaining! We have had nearly three weeks of high temps and humidity and it has been very uncomfortable. At 8pm a front moved in and we had a little rain with more on the way....fine with me as long as things cool off. People who say they just LOVE this drive me nuts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I'm living in one of those places where it's almost always hot, your blizzard makes me dream! And I love the freshness coming from your pretty picture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you've got a good handle on the heat Birdman :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll take my lemonade, sit back and admire that beautiful river rock wall.

    ReplyDelete