Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thrill Ride

Happy Fourth of July!
Smokey's Greater Shows made an appearance near the city last weekend. It's a carnival roadshow that winds its way around the state summers in Maine. This one was set up on a large concrete parking lot, with many trailers ringing the 'fairgrounds'. At 10:30 AM there wasn't a lot of hustle and bustle that could be seen. Most of the lot area was pretty vacant with just 5-10 carneys milling about with coffees and cigarettes. They probably were scratching their heads wondering why this crazy camera nut was hanging about shooting pictures of abandon rides.
Maybe the lives of carneys and photographers are linked a bit closer than we might think.

10 comments:

  1. I love state fairs but find that these empty parking lot carnivals leave much to be desired, altho I loved them as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fairs but hated that ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are having a fun 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote with Randy. I do love the fairs, but never liked the height rides after being stuck on the top of one when a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just see the carneys with their smokes & coffee. They could be interesting to photograph . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice shot - I hated the rides!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super composition. Have a nice 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a colleague who is a former carnie. Bet you would never guess who it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent perspective, Birdman. I can only imagine the life those carnies lead.

    ReplyDelete