Thursday, July 25, 2013

School Daze

I know what you are thinking. No, this isn't a photograph of George Jetson Elementary School. This  strange sculpture near the entrance walkway might lead you that conclusion, but this is really Ocean Avenue Elementary School. I'm thinking about schools this morning, because something unbelievable happened the day before my birthday this year. On July 14th, while watching TV that evening, I witnessed what I believe was the first "Back to School" commercial of the season. July! Come on. Early August is bad enough but mid-July? School had been out for summer just 4 weeks or so, and retail stores were already out destroying a kid's summer paradise. The nerve! Does this mean that I'll be able to buy my Halloween zombie costume next week?
I guess I need to just cry,"Uncle!"

16 comments:

  1. Seems that retailers are not happy with the present moment and need to strive for the future. I wonder if this is indicative of our culture. How many of us truly are present and mindful of Just-right-now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had no idea what this was and wasn't not thinking about Jetson elementary. I rather like the sculpture. Nothin's like it used to be. We had longer summers and no TV and no sales - all we had to do was have fun from June to September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. funky little 'beam me up, scottie!' sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid, there was a fall-like nip in the air before we even thought about back-to-school shopping. But, since they have Christmas decorations up in stores at the end of September, I guess it makes sense. To retailers that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I retired the back to school ads have bothered me much less than they use to. Haven't seen one yet this year. It is way too early. Love the sculpture. It has a great sense of fun and adventure, perfect for an elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is only five months to Christmas ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you can buy a snow parka too. MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time to book your cruise next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite time of year, the start of the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes things have changed considerably since those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We work on an alternative schedule. Out 2nd week in May, but back to school first week in August. I saw Halloween stuff in a store just yesterday. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's waaaaaaaaaaay too early!
    I do like the colors and futuristic look of these sculptures though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not to mention Christmas adverts starting in October :) that sculpture is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that sculpture s very 'Jetsony' and I too m amazed at he tome flies. Too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A solar panel and an antenna? Sounds Jetsony enough. Whatever it is, I really like the "sculpture."

    ReplyDelete