Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Name Change

Here we are in front of St. Joes' School on Stevens Avenue. Ok, I apologize for providing you with erroneous information in this blog post today. If truth be told, and to be perfectly honest with you, this is St. Bridgit School. Well, technically it's theconsolidated school of Our Lady of Hope Parish. When St. Joseph Parish and St. Patrick Parish Schools were consolidated for economical purposes in 2007, St. Bridgit's was born. Name changes. Sometimes, I just don't get it. I did time here. Seven years to be exact. In sixth grade, there was an incident. The facts are really not important other than Principal Sister Mary Delores suggested to my Dad that a public education alternative might be a good choice for me. I like to believe that today, St. Joseph is looking down on this sign and shaking his head. St. Bridgit's?
I also like to think that he's wondering what was Sr. Delores thinking.
Maybe I'm reading a bit much into that expression on his countenance.  

9 comments:

  1. I'm sure Bridgit is a perfectly fine saint, but I can only guess that the wise church consolidators figured that those of the St. Joe persuasion would adjust, sooner or later. . .or, well, eventually just go meet him in person and not worry about it anymore.

    He is, after all, wearing a dress in the statue. Maybe the innocent younger generation will just figure Bridgit is just a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Birdy, so ya don't want to give details to getting your butt kicked by Sister Mary. Fine. As for me, did eight years with Sister Agnes, et al, before being kicked out to do time with the good Christian Brothers for four years. Today feel for the good Sisters who had to suffer the likes of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i went to st. mary's for elementary school. perhaps st. joseph moved to go be with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol i am laughing at her suggestion to get rid of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure how to respond to the name change other than St. Bridget makes no sense. As to your shenanigans, you should be ashamed. I never did anything like that. Well, except for the time the principal at Louis Pasteur Jr. High in Los Angeles suggested to my parents that the alternative school at the UCLA might be just what I needed. But after I made proper amends and paid proper respect to the powers-that-be, it was determined my offense was actually pretty mild and I did not need further confinement in balls and chains.

    I still can't believe a spitwad was worth of such a fuss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's like the hotels here in Toronto are always changing their names!
    Our nuns would have just given you a good strapping and then on with the daily routines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you put this place in your rear view mirror, I imagine you were dancing and laughing. "Free at last!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! reminded me of the time the local judge in the small town we lived in in Africa suggested to my father when I first started driving that I stick to riding a bike..cheek!

    ReplyDelete