Monday, July 29, 2013

Shells

I'm easy to please when it comes to food. I'll try anything once. I did lamb at Edna's Restaurant while working there in high school. Once. Next question. I was thinking other day, when and where did my love of seafood begin? It was probably those Friday night plates of frozen fish sticks, that Mom slid my way. My Dad loved fresh haddock, so that was another end of the week staple. I can never remember eating lobsters at our house. Ever. Probably a bit too pricey, even back then, for a family of six. I think the first time my lips tasted the delicacy was on a trip to Boothbay Harbor, at that restaurant with the big tugboat nearby, with Mom and her sister, my Aunt Mimi. Now, I do recollect where my torrid affair with fried clams began. It was the very first time I set foot in the old Village Cafe. Do I like them? Let me just say this. I probably ate at the Village over 50 times in my life, before it closed, and I never ordered anything but the clams. Ever!
Creature of habit or what? 
I'll sign off with these 'words of wisdom': find something you love in life? 
Stick with it!
You won't go wrong... well, in most cases that is.

18 comments:

  1. Well, we've been married 38 years.....I'm sticking with 'it'. <3 xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elenka makes me smile, I reached 32 years, I'm sticking too! :o)
    (and about the clams and seafood as well,with a fisher-man as grand-father , I surely had some seafood in my baby's bottle!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love fried clams....we used to go to puerto nuevo down in mexico (quick drive from our home in san diego) which is known for its lobster and at really inexpensive prices. miss that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elenka,

    38 years! You deserve a medal. Several medals, in fact!

    Dear BM,

    If'n y'all want clams y'all need to come down this away to Cedar Key which is the Clam Capitol of something or other.

    I'll clam up now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, one other thing. I know about medals 'cause Lois Anne has a ton of them - we celebrated 56 years last month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lois Anne.....I want to shake your hand! You should be happy he's still using the word 'celebrate'.
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You not only found a love in life, but you have a passion for clams. Try lamb again; those cute little chops awaken lust in me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am totally a creature of habit - especially when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I was around 20 before I ever tasted shell fish. I remember going to a special restaurant with a friend I worked with so we could both try lobster for the very first time. I remember that incredible taste. More, give more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll leave the seafood to you Birdman, but come anywhere near my chocolate and ...well just don't haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fried Clams...mmmmm. Great advise and great image!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Living in a sea city it's a pity I do not like much seafood, but I stick to a few things I love, with a few exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You line in the right state for yummy seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting shot. Must have been smelly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your advice, "find something you love in life? Stick with it!" sounds just what any addict would say. But then I do love good sea food as well. Unfortunately we live about 1,000 miles from the sea. Interesting photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fried oysters are a big hit here on the VA eastern shore, more so than fried clams. Thankfully, I like both.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also eat anything that is not moving in the plate... :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete