Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bus Life

Here are a few school buses taking a little rest. See, they deserve a Thanksgiving break too, I guess. My school 'bus life' ended in Second Grade. Up to that point, I rode a bus to St. Joseph's School all by myself. I look back on that experience and marvel a bit. Would my parents let me to that today? I bet not. A mother today would probably drive me everyday. Of course, back then our house had but one car, like most. So that wasn't really an option. So, I rode. We moved from 1023 Washington Avenue to 820 Stevens Avenue the summer before Third Grade, and life changed. It was and area with lots of kids, and we all walked about 1/2 mile to school. It was fun! A bunch of us all walked together, picking up friends as we passed their houses. We did stupid things! We built mini forts at the foot of trees out of tiny sticks on the way home. We stopped by to watch college girls play field hockey. We chucked snowballs and chestnuts, in their prickly coats, at each other and trucks. I even got to go home for lunch and spend some time with Mom. It was a great neighborhood to grow up in, even when it came time for the school bell to ring.
Sister Delores, on that back step, ringing that big bell, meant it was time to 'freeze in place' and move to our grade lines, when the second bell sounded.
It was a simple time. 
Ding, dong, ding, dong! 

11 comments:

  1. During a long time I was living right in front of my school! Later, I walked to school and secondary school, I took the bus only at university.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vividness of your memory -- the mini forts, the prickly chestnuts, the big bell rung on the back step . . . perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just can remember my first ride on a bus alone, but it was a long time ago...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking to school was indeed fun. Even in my village most kids are bused or driven to school by mom or dad. I feel so sorry for these over-protected kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great memories; lots for which to be thankful as the holiday begins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these buses are so charming!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Price, Utah we lived a block from the school so all the kids walked together down there and many of us walked back home and had lunch at home. Dad worked across the street from the school so we had lunch with him too. Great times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to walk to school even in the snow. Now these yellow school buses have invaded the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy memories hey Birdman..in the middle of Africa I had to ride miles to school, was still fun though with friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first paying job as a kid was at Westbrook College, washing dishes - - and those dreaded pots -- in the kitchen.

    I also worked a summer at Evergreen like you did (I noticed that from an earlier post in your blog).

    ReplyDelete