Friday, November 29, 2013

End Game

Well, the calendar doesn't have to notify me. I can hear the not too far off  echo of  the upcoming winter hoofbeats. I'm reminded that it's still 3 weeks away, but the thermometer out side the kitchen window reading 13 F above this morning provides me with a pretty good hint. It'll creep up to about 22 this afternoon, but that's about it. No mas! Some days, I have to stop and wonder why I do this. I'm sure my friends in southern locals are probably chuckling a little reading this. Will retirement find us moving? It hard to say right now. When pressed, Elenka and I will both tell you we HATE the cold, but... 
There is a pull.
I really can't explain it.
Don't provide reasons why or why not.
I've heard them all.
I'm torn... at least today.

13 comments:

  1. We don't get near as cold as you do but when I retire I am heading south for the winter. I hope that you had a good Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we've had temps in the 20s here in NE Tx this past week, so not too far off your mark when you compare what we're accustomed to, i suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already think about moving to a southern local....and I am not close to retirement. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live at 60 degrees North - and are staying put ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the pull Birdman.. Your property sounds really special whatever the weather. I actually sometimes wish we had a more defined winter, this year I didn't put my coat on once and I sort of felt a little cheated out of a season, does that make sense? Our official summer starts on Sunday, now I'm definitely not looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am changing with the age: weather seems colder even when it is not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just adore the cold winters, though I acknowledge that it takes a lot of preparation to get out there...I just posted a sketch that makes me think of your photo...Gone are the flashy colors & the gentle temperatures to wander around in them...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's 30˚F, -1˚C, here right now and I'd be happy if that was winter but when the wind chill gets ramped up and it's -20˚C I start to wish I was somewhere warm. But I guess I'm here for the duration! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your feelings are shared by Midwesterners also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, I know, but I *love* the changing seasons here: so beautiful all around.

    ReplyDelete