Saturday, November 9, 2013

Sectionals

I've never been a big fan of murals. I've posted a few over the years, but have always felt kind of dirty about doing it. This one is on the backside of the Oakhurst Dairy plant next to USM. I don't get excited about glancing at buildings and seeing pictures covering brickwork or other type of siding. Many will comment on these sectionals, against this slate sky and say they love it. They might add that it's quite attractive, given the alternative. Call me a traditionalist when it comes to this sort of thing. I really just want to grab one of these bikes and ride away.

15 comments:

  1. Now, tell us how you REALLY feel about murals. Actually, I enjoy them because when well done they often brighten up a pretty drab area or building. Often they also reveal a little bit about the neighborhood. To each is own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stealing a bike every time you see a mural could be a bad idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on how beautiful the ural is , and on what it is painted . Some are great , some are not .The one you're showing today seems rather beautiful . But I can't see what's around ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stefan's comment is so fine! I can understand your beliefs on murals, especially if the obliterated surface was attractive in a vintage way. However, I also like murals when they are well-painted, thought-provoking, and enlightening to those who view them, in the manner of pointing out neighborhood history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the whimsy of them -- but would I want all buildings to be painted? Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your thoughts have given me fodder to chew on -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to post a pic of my 100 year old unpainted bricks one day - just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, ya got yer choice of plain brick or a little fantasy. I'll strap on the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm one of those who say to love these! It's such a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww come on Birdman, the world would be a duller place without colourful murals :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a fan of "murals" that are really just graffiti, but I do occasionally enjoy quality murals. These are pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ours are usually much uglier, with rare exceptions, so I almost like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm one of those who likes them.

    ReplyDelete